smelly egg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by deb33, Apr 10, 2017.

1. deb33

deb33 New Egg

Apr 10, 2017
    Durham , uk
    Day 20 no signs of chirping or pipping thrown 2rotton eggs out everything looked good before lock down any advice

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. My advice would be to remove the egg and discard it immediately. It's not viable, and could explode in the incubator, contaminating the other eggs and giving you a less than pleasurable clean up job.

Best wishes
    CT

2 people like this.
  3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad to have you join us.

CTKen has given you experienced advice. I've never hatched, but that would be my opinion as well.

Good luck with the remaining eggs, hope they are viable and hatch successfully.

1 person likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under deb33 [​IMG] Welcome!

I also agree with Ken, get it out of there. Good luck with the rest of the hatch.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It can also explode on you. Very gently slip a plastic bag over the egg, tie it up tightly and remove it. If it bursts in the incubator, the bacteria can contaminate the hatch.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS if some dog or cat has been eye balling your chickens, throw the egg at them. They will probably love the stink, roll in it, and trot home to their owners - . That may convince them their pets shouldn't run free. Well we can always hope. [​IMG]

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by