Smelly Eggs? Funny Taste? Common or Not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsgibber, May 11, 2009.

1. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    I was talking to a woman and my daughters dance class who kind of sneered when I told her we are raising hens for eggs. She proceeded to tell me a story about being in Ireland at a B & B where they served Free Range eggs. She refused to eat them because she said they had a smell to them. Now bear in mind this is the same woman who told me the week before she doesn't go out in the rain because she is petrified of worms. But anyway, I am worried that my eggs would have a smell or a funny taste that would put my family and friends off eating my fresh eggs. Mind don't free range but the eat a wide variety of fruits, greens, grass, bugs, regular chicken food, etc.

What is your experience with your fresh eggs? Do they taste "funny" or smell "bad"?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    They're way better! Store bought eggs smell old and funny, fresh eggs smell like food. lol. The yolks are yellower, the whites are firmer, everything is better. Just don't feed your birds lots of onions, fish, or garlic, as these foods CAN make your eggs taste funny. In moderation they are ok, but too much will give them an off odor and an off taste.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I have had no problems. My family and friends have had no problems with them either. Maybe she just wasn't used to real fresh eggs. The real stuff is different than the stores "farm fresh" stuff.

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    That woman is "funny." I don't know her, so I won't call her "common." [​IMG]

5. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I gotta tell you I agree with these guys! I finally for the first time got some fresh free range eggs, omg what a difference! I couldn't believe it, you always hear about how orange the yolk is and all that. It's all true, it's really cool to crack the egg, see that beautiful deep orange yolk and that really firm egg white. Leaps and bounds from the eggs in the chain stores. The flavor is incomparable, I can't wait until mine start laying!! [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My eggs don't smell like anything but eggs, but they do taste different... as in DELICIOUS! [​IMG]

That woman needs to watch a YouTube video about the poor caged hens who produce those grocery store eggs she thinks are so great. [​IMG]

7. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Quote:hahaha [​IMG]

let her stick to normal super market eggs then.... i promise you , if you have your own hens you will not taste any better eggs in your life........ she dose not know what shes missing, if you want to i would give some to your friends and ask what they think of them.... betcha they will want More !

She's just jealous [​IMG]

8. mrsgibber

mrsgibber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Bolton, CT
    Thanks! I know she's a bit of a snob so I take it with a grain of salt. I haven't bought supermarket eggs in ages. I do buy eggs from the supermarket but they are cage free, local eggs from a coop called the Farmer's Cow. I only buy their milk too. I know these eggs are the real deal...heck sometimes I get an egg that still has a bit of poo on it. Very reassuring. [​IMG] But as soon as I switched over to these eggs I could taste the difference. I will only eat these eggs, at least until my pullets start to lay.

I think people are extremely ignorant about food and where it comes from. It's sick when you think about how commerically produced food is made. The less my food has had to travel to my plate then better in my opinion!

9. chicken-keeper

chicken-keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    UK
    Quote:Too right !

10. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    No smell here taste way better. My kids even eat duck eggs they all taste like eggs.

Starry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by