Smelly Eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Diamond438, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Diamond438

Diamond438 New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    I have had two vile smelling eggs this week after cracking them open for cooking. They smell gone off but are no older than a week old. I have 3 chickens but no idea which one laid them so just wondered if there could be a reason for this or is it just "one of those things"?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Quote:Are you gathering them daily? Where are you storing them for that week?

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hows your drinking water? Does it ever smell like sulphur? Sometimes that will give you stinky eggs. I have stinky well water sometimes, and I don't drink it.....

4. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    I know some people wash them and store them on the counter and they are fine, but I'm scared LOL. I wash them and put them in the fridge right away. I also collect them daily. I am one of those people "it has to come from the store if I am going to eat it." But I have to say, I am really proud to cook with those cute brown eggs with smiley faces from my granddaughter. I think sometimes with chickens, if it can happen it will..........

5. Diamond438

Diamond438 New Egg

Mar 27, 2011
    Yes I gather them daily and have a little egg box in the kitchen. I change the water everyday as it's only a little water container. I have the chickens for several months and not had this before. They do have free roam of the garden though so maybe have eaten something unusual??

6. CluckCluck18

CluckCluck18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Largo, FL
    I hate to break it to you but the stuff that comes from the store is awful. Eggs in the store are 3-4 weeks old when you buy them and about 90% of chicken is contaminated with salmonella. I'd rather take my chances with chicks in the yard! That's part of the problem...people don't mean it but they are mindless about what they eat and how they passively contribute to animal abuse. You would croak if you saw the condition of those chickens.[​IMG]

7. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

okay, you have me stumped. i'm a newbie so be easy on me, but what is an egg box? and why does it need water? and why on your kitchen counter rather than in the fridge? is it a water cooling kinda thing like the old time butter dishes? i assume you are not talking about an egg carton- I've never heard of putting water in them.

What kinda stinky are your eggs? like rotten smell? onion/garlic smell? I know if they eat a lot of onion or garlic it will make your eggs taste funny. Maybe it will affect the smell too. Garlic makes me smell funny [​IMG]

Heheh- I totally misunderstood! You meant you changed the CHICKEN'S water! Duh! I thought there was some secret submerge the egg trick to keep them fresh that I didn't know about. Boy, do I feel silly![​IMG]

Forget I said anything

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  8. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I had a really nasty egg last week. I had put like a half a cup of ground flaxseed in 50# feed and I got what I thought was a "fart" egg, well, I guess the name was right, egg was nasty! Fishy gross tasting, dont think i'll ad that again, but no other egg was like that! Don't know what caused but stopped selling eggs til I knew it wasn't the flax seed.

9. TheGeorgiaGang

TheGeorgiaGang Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Watkinsville, GA
    Hey all, recently I have a stinky egg problem too, except my eggs have more of a chemical, acrid smell. Not really sulfurous. I have a lot of eggs right now so haven't eaten any of these yet. It has happened a few days ago and then yesterday, so it's not constant and it isn't just one chicken making the weird smelling eggs. My chickens get only crumbles, chickweed/weeds, leftover parrot veggies (which do not include anything super smelly and do not really vary from day to day), and whatever they find in the run. Any ideas?

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    If your eggs have a fishy odor when broken open, it's very often due to the layer feed. According to recent research, some hens metabolize certain seeds such as soya and rape seed in their intestines, causing microbes to form a fishy taste in their eggs.

Look on the ingredients on the bag of your layer feed. If it contains soy for the protein, that is your likely problem. The solution is to switch to a non-soy layer feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by