Smelly Eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bantie3, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Bantie3

Bantie3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi All,

I’ve seen a couple of posts in regard to this but could not see any resolution. I have 3 Pekin Bantams that have only just started to lay (10 months before they began), so I’ve patiently waited….and waited….and waited. Finally we got some laying action only to discover that we can barely stomach eating the eggs due to an off putting smell. Its hard to describe but is faintly like sulphur, definitely not fishy. They free range all day in the garden and I make a seed mix for them which consists of the following:

3 parts layer crumble
    3 parts wheat
    1 part corn
    1 part oat groat
    1 part barely
    1 part safflower seeds
    1 part millet
    ½ linseed
    ½ sesame seeds
    ½ lentils
    ½ split green peas

Please help. We’ve waited so long for these precious little parcels of goodness. Its very disappointing :(

2. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Try just feeding them the laying feed (pellets are less messy then crumbles and waste less) and letting them free range for a while. Most laying feed contains all the ingredients necessary for them to lay nice good healthy eggs, they don't really need all that extra stuff you are mixing in with the feed. They will most likely get all the treats they desire by free ranging eating bugs and worms and a little bit of greenery they find that they like. Even though the funny smell is probably coming from something they are finding in the garden, eliminate things one at a time.

Most laying feed also contains all the calcium they need to make sure their egg shells are nice and firm but you may want to have a dish with some oyster shell in it that they can get to and partake of if they so desire. Chickens seem to know when they aren't getting enough calcium and will eat the oyster shell only when they need it.

3. Bantie3

Bantie3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks LoneOak.

I've taken your advice and have removed all seeds except for the layer crumble (I had just bought a 5kg bag so wanted to use that up before buying pellets). I really hope its not a plant in the garden as I live on a piece of land the size of a postage stamp and can't section areas off for them and I don't want to lock them up permanently in the coop.

The shells of the eggs are nice and firm and they've always got access to shell grit - for those that need it [​IMG]

I'll see how they go and post the results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by