1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smelly Golden Comet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenporter, Nov 10, 2011.

1. chickenporter

chickenporter New Egg

Nov 10, 2011
    I have a lovely young golden comet who seems very healthy and happy. The problem is she stinks. I can't identify one particular place on her generating the odor. I don't know how to describe the smell other than it's kind of a faint dead turtle smell. I've checked her and can't find anything obvious causing the smell. Thoughts? Remedies? Thanks,

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Does she seem to have any poo on her?
    If she seems fine, i wouldn't worry. Maybe check her one more time for sores or anything.

3. chickenporter

chickenporter New Egg

Nov 10, 2011
    No poo. I gave her a bath a couple of weeks ago to see if it would help but the smell came back. It doesn't smell like chicken poo. I thought I'd try washing her this weekend with a stronger soap like Dawn dish soap but I don't want to irritate her skin. I'm also worried that she might have some condition that could spread although I've had her a month or more and my other two chickens smell fine. No runny nose or gooey eyes. Other than the smell she really does look and act healthy.

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    maybe shes farty....???

5. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Maybe sour crop?

6. chickenporter

chickenporter New Egg

Nov 10, 2011
    Took her to bird vet. She has two parasites and a secondary bacterial infection that all together are likely causing slow crop hence the smell. Hopefully treatment will work. She is a sweet bird. I am sure she had these infections/infestations when I got her. As much as I like her I wish I hadn't exposed her to my other birds.
    Ahh well. Live and learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by