Smelly Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by protodon, Mar 10, 2009.

1. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    This is my first hatch in an incubator I currently have 50 coturnix eggs and 3 of my own chicken eggs in there. Yesterday was day 14 for the quail so i removed the egg turner they were all in and put the quail eggs in their carton. Well i came back to check the temp which was going crazy after I removed the turner and there was this terrible smell. Like rotten egg smell. The funny thing is that smell wasn't there a few hours earlier or a few days earlier.

Now i know not all the eggs are developing so maybe this could be it because there was at least a week from when the eggs were shipped to when they arrived thanks to USPS. I randomly candled a few and the ones I did looked to be growing. I never candled them all because I am not sure how long the eggs can be out of the 99.5 temp. Which as I mentioned before, the temp has been going up and down as i removed the egg turner and I have to get it right again. I'm wondering if the temp could have killed them all in a matter of hours and that is the smell? I certainly hope not but now I am also worried that some rotten eggs might explode in there but I don't want to go searching through there for the rotten ones and mess with the humidity/temp so close to a possible hatch. I'm hoping they're not all dead! Any ideas?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Find the rotten egg before it blows. You are probably safer taking the lid off for a bit than you are are letting one explode. I wouldn't worry about candling. Use your nose. It's faster.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh-ho-hoooooo!! Get that rotten egg(s) out of there RIGHT NOW!! Quick!

Later on you can go back through this forum and read all the accounts of just how horrible a rotten egg smells when it breaks.

Good luck! [​IMG]

4. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Not to mention the slimy green goo that goes EVERYWHERE when a bad egg explodes and you clean the bator for seemingly hours on end while trying to hold your breath so you don't gag from the smell. [​IMG]

5. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Yeah I can't find it, unless they are all the rotten egg. [​IMG]

6. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Did you sniff every one individually?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by