Smelly run... YUCK!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pkforever, Sep 22, 2010.

1. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    So my run smells... It didn't until I went in today and tilled up all the soil that had gotten packed down. Now it smells BAD!! [​IMG] Besides lime what is a good way to make it less smelly?

2. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

How big is the run? Would it be cost effective to put in stone? I've heard you can get bags of it at Walmart for a couple of bucks. My run was manky and muddy and stinky, and I used the stones from under our old deck. It seemed to help!

3. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Did you mix the stones with the dirt or just layed the stones on top?

4. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    I used to have gravel mixed in but it's all disappeared now... I've been thinking about buying a couple more bags. when you say stone how big are you talking?

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    Stall Dry is GREAT!! It is sand with DE.

I use it in my coop layered with white pine shavings and wood pellets. It ends up being black fluffy compost.

6. DIYSeattle

DIYSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Maple Leaf
    I noticed that when it doesnt rain for a while then rains and you dig it up it smells the worst. When its dry its not so bad. I try not to mess with mine if it has been raining a lot. Once it dries out I go in with a garden hoe and till it up.

7. sneakers

sneakers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Pembroke virginia
    I put a tarp over my outside run. That helps alot. The birds like it too. They stay out in the rain. I give them fresh hay everyday to pick at and dig in. That keeps it dry. When it gets to stinken I fork out all the old hay, put down pine chips and some new hay. I have to stay ahead of it because I have a deck close by and nobody wants to be overcome with the smellies!

8. AnnainMD

AnnainMD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Eldersburg, MD
    We have a product in Maryland called Leaf-Gro (leaves collected from residences and then composted with nothing added). I added a few inches in their run and oh my goodness, what a difference. It literally doesn't smell at all, AT ALL. We have compacted clay dirt and no matter how many times I tilled, pitchforked, raked, I couldn't manage the smell. It wasn't horrible or terrible or awful mind you, but I didn't like the smell I was smelling. And I really wanted to nip it in the bud. So far so good.

Don't know if this is anything you can use but: http://www.southernoregoncompost.com/

We
    got ours in bulk, WAY cheaper that way.

9. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I thought stones would hurt their feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by