smelly runny poop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hapichickenz, Oct 15, 2015.

1. hapichickenz

hapichickenz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2015
    New Orleans area
    [​IMG]

First time chicken mom
    We got our day-old chicks 6 days ago.
    They were "vacinated" prior to us getting them. I began them on unmediated chick start for 3 days. Started to see some gooey brown poop (only one chick) read advice about using using medicated chick start to keep them from getting Coccidiosis. I just read that if they were vaccinated I have neutralized that protection by giving medicated starter. Today it seems like 2 chicks are pooping brown. Thankfully all are acting normal healthy, eating & drinking well. I still have paper towel s down over litter changing often. Could someone with experience please recommend what to do next. Thanks bunches : )

2. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    I'd first get some save-a-chick probiotics and electrolytes (can also be purchased in bulk containers too more cheaply). I think of it as bird Gatorade. When birds have loose stools, it really taxes them and they require electrolyte replacement. Though birds can be vaccinated for coccidia, not all strains are captured by said vaccines.

I keep Corrid on-hand at all times just in case my birds become overexposed to coccidia, along with bulk electrolytes and probiotics. Hope they get better soon!

Also - do they have a light on them or heat? Maybe they're getting too warm, which can also cause loose stools.

3. hapichickenz

Sep 22, 2015
    New Orleans area
    Thanks for your recommendations will get the meds & electrolytes going. Yes I have a heat lamp on one side of enclosure. It's fairly high above brooder. I'll keep an eye out for any other signs to be sure temp is good. Again thanks

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Before you start stuffing the little dears with everything known to man, which can do more harm than good, take a breath. Okay, with me? Now, is it every poop that is brown. loose and stinky? Every poop, every time? Most likely you'll realize that it's not. Most likely you'll realize that it's just sporadic one from each chick every day. The advice you got about not feeding medicated feed if you've had them vaccinated is pretty much spot on although it does depend on what they were vaccinated for. In most cases, medicated food is not indicated or recommended for vaccinated chicks. Vaccinated or not, I never use medicated food anyway. Instead I toss a chunk of sod, dirt, grass, roots and all, into the brooder. It helps build up their immunities slowly, gives them a little natural grit, teaches them that scratching is FUN and productive, and they love to dust bathe in the dirt they knock off.

I'd be willing to bet that what you are seeing is "cecal poop", very normal. I know it looks scary, but all chickens do it and chicks are no exception. It simply means their digestive system is functioning. I can be out in the coop and know when a chicken in the run has just dropped one. [​IMG]

So relax, observe, and then make the call about what you are seeing. If you are still really concerned, then a re-post in the diseases and emergencies forum would be in order.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Welcome to BYC! And as I said, observe but relax....stressing out will keep you from fully enjoying your chicks.

5. Danster1001

Danster1001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Lichfield UK
    My Coop
    I know this is a little different to runny poo.
    My little chick is nearly a week old, she seems to have what looks like a lump of hard poo stuck to her rear end. When we try to ease it off she seems very uncomfortable l, I am hoping it is poo and nothing more to worry about.
    Any advice would be great thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    That is pasty butt, and it can be fatal. It's dried poo that sticks to the down and will block the vent, preventing the chicks from getting any more feces out. It must be cleaned off and cleaned of quickly! Take her to the sink and using warm water and paper towels, get as much off as you can. You may have to pick at with a toothpick as well your fingertips to break it up. You will really have to work at it to get it all off, but don't leave any there. Yes, it's uncomfortable for the chick, but not nearly as miserable as having a bottom full of poop that can't get out. After she's cleaned off, you can use a hairdryer to dry her off before she goes back into the brooder. It's not necessary if you were able to blot of most of the moisture from the down - I did it the first few times but after that I just made sure most of the water was blotted and skipped the hairdryer. But before you do put her back in with the others, coat the area around the vent with a little olive or coconut oil - Vaseline works too but just a little bit. You need to try to keep more poop from sticking to the same area again. You may also have to treat her for pasty butt more than once. Keep an eye on her. And watch the other chicks as well - if one has it more than likely others might too.

Some say it's from keeping the brooder too warm. Some say it's from temps that fluctuate too much. But I don't think anyone knows for absolute sure why some chicks get it and others don't even when they are in the same brooder. All I do know for sure is that chicks raised under a broody hen rarely -if ever - get it, and personally I think that might be because chicks raised under a heat lamp eat 24/7, unlike under a broody where they tuck under her when the sun goes down and don't eat again until morning, a much more natural cycle for them. Good luck with it!

Welcome to BYC! Hope that information helped.

7. Danster1001

Danster1001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2015
    Lichfield UK
    My Coop
    Thanks so much for your prompt reply, I didn't know whether I would find a lump or not. She's all lovely and clean now thank you

8. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, you are so very welcome! Glad I could help.

9. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Agree meds should be used sparingly, but I don't think electrolytes and probiotics ever cause any harm. :)

10. hapichickenz

Sep 22, 2015
    New Orleans area
    Thanks, I am holding off on meds, but giving electrolytes & vitamins in water. All are eating, drinking & acting healthy. Gonna continue to observe & enjoy them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by