Smelly Silkie

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
It's 2:40am, if this is the wrong forum will someone move it please? lol I often kiss my girls on the top of their head as a carry them. They love to be carried and they always smell so good.

I have this little silkie. His name is Fernando. He is white. He is stinky. Why? lol I smelled several of the others that reside in his coop/run (An EE, a BO and I think a Porcelain if I remember right) is it his feathers? He just has this weird musk smell to him that none of my others have. He's my only silkie.

He seems to be really clean otherwise. He keeps his tush clean and he's pretty and fluffy, just smells like musk, or like an old rag? lol Is this a breed thing?

Silkies and other chickens with feathered feet and or tight feathers are high maintenance and enjoy baths. A shallow basin with hot suddzy water and a good rinse. Some people use ordinary dish soap, some use conditioners and blow dry. Silkies love their baths. Birds that roost up off the floor stay cleaner. Silkies can not fly well and sometimes roost on the floor. Where does your silkie sleep ?

I have heard of others who say their silkies smell. Mine did a little also when I had them a year or so ago...can't really put a finger on what that smell was but yes, I have heard of this before.

Gee, I don't know, hope yo get an answer, I would like to know too.
idunno.gif

They still sleep on the floor in a chicken love pile. He is young (about 14wk) so they are just starting to try and roost.

Is there any special way to bathe him? I mean can I just dry him off and put him back? We have terrible red clay and he loves to roll and dust bathe in it which always makes his feathers appear red. My fear is I put him back damp and then he looks REALLY red when he goes and rolls in the dirt. lol

Back
Top Bottom