1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Smelly Silkies, too cold to bathe?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by secuono, Nov 10, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    So, my near adult Silkies kinda stink...all the other birds smell fine, they gave me dirty looks while I sniffed them to be sure it wasn't just in my mind.
    I bought Mane & Tail, should I bathe them on a day off and towel dry? I don't have a hair drier, though I'm sure they would freak if I used one on them, lol. Was thinking I should do it in the morning, put them in the 'chicken room' and turn on the heat lamp so they don't get cold. But how long should I keep them indoors?
    I was hoping they would be dry enough before nightfall.
    Oh! And I will remember to get pics, lol.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

I have one that I cannot blow dry. I give it a bath and towel it off well and put it in a bin under heat lamp until it is dry. I have no clue how long it takes. I just check her/him every couple of hours til it feels and looks dry.

IDK about using mane & Tail. I use that for me & the horses [​IMG]
    Maybe someone with more silkie experience will answer ya. I used Johnson & Johnson kids shampoo. No more tears [​IMG]

I know white ones should be bathed different to get them cleanest. Or with different products. (When showing at least)
    I read where several people use buckets outside for bathing and add something to the rinse water.

[​IMG] Might better wait til the silkie people weigh in [​IMG]

ETA: I do not bathe mine outside. I do it in the tub just like I do my inside dog [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    My 3 baby Silkies smell like dirt and they are so soft, love to snuggle them, lol. But not the big two, they are icky. I think I will use the mane n tail tomorrow morning, that way I will have all day to dry them indoors. It's been warm out midday[65-75F], do they really need to be dry all the way?

4. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

To be safe, I would say yes. Mainly because silkies do not have the 'waterproof/water repellent' feathers like most chickens. I don't know how well it would dry even though that sounds like a comfy temp (for me at least [​IMG] ) or if it would be too chilly [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    On my silkies I use ivory liquid soap. The times I have had to bathe them was for lice from wild birds. I set up a large tepid sink of water add in 1/2 - 3/4 cup of liquid ivory and gently swish trying to not let bubbles form. I dip and make sure all is wet, eggs removed from vent area, remove bird- dont rinse- and swaddle in a towel to remove water. When towel is fully wet re wrap with another towel and gently pat toll dryer. Then dry with a hair dryer. All have loved to be dried with a hairdryer.. Bathe in a draft free room. and after using the hair dryer place babe in a pen on paper in a warm area just incase some wetness is still there. Check in an hour all feathers for dryness. If your babe is 100% dry then you can let it outdoors if not you can gently hit the damp areas with a dryer again and re check in an hour.

6. xyresicchick

xyresicchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Providence, RI
    i dont know about bathing silkies yet however i have bathed a cochin that was disgustingly stinky. i washed her in the sink with regular unscented antibacterial soap (think "germs" when you think "stinky"?... yep!) and then used a hair dryer on warm/medium heat. high heat is too hot and can burn. my cochin loved her bath AND her blow dry! she was very happy about the warm water and warm air!

if you do not have a hair dryer, contemplate getting one. but only one with a lower heat setting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by