Smelly wet duck poop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hooperdooper, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Hooperdooper

Hooperdooper Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    My pekin will poop normally but also will poop a dark wet smelly poop. Is this normal? Is it the food she eats? Or is there something wrong? Its not every time so I don't think its diarea but how do you know? Sometimes they get into the dry dog food and I don't know if that causes it or not.

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    If it isn't all the time I would not worry about it. Mine have everything from solid to runny, green to white poop. Usually it's solid but they had meal worms yesterday and it was dark brown and runny. They were out on our patio so I got to see ALL their poop for a few days, lol. What they eat will effect their poop.

3. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT
    That's what I thought but I want to be sure. I wish I knew what it was that makes it so smelly. When it's any other kind, there really is no smell.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    It's typically smellier the more protein they ate beforehand. For example, my ducks sometimes get lots of snails and slugs while out foraging. After that, their poops are dark, slimy, and very smelly. It all depends on what they ate a little while before, so there is alot of variation in duck poops if they have a varied diet. ;)

5. Hooperdooper

Jun 28, 2014
    Tolland , CT

They do eat a lot of different things. Everything from peas and corn to mealworms and regular feed. And whatever they find in the yard. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by