Smitten By The Barred Rock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fred's Hens, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

OK, I admit it. I'm smitten. Decided this year to raise some chicks of a more traditional breed. The economics aren't there, so this isn't about our egg customers, just my enjoyment. Keeping sex-links for the production had simply gotten boring, no offense to anyone, as I still have them. But, I picked up 8 Barred Rocks. Nothing fancy, just pretty much ordinary, hatchery stock, although I did pick through about 200 chicks to get the ones that struck my eye. I've not kept pure Rocks for over 50 years. They are like a breath of fresh air. Their behaviors are so unique, their sounds are delightful. Smitten.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This is why I love my Barred Rocks, really I love my blues and black, too, but BRs are my all-time favorite for many reasons.

3. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Our BR hen is a sweethheart! She loves to perch upon our shoulders and laps, and she has fallen asleep in my dear wife's arms too many times to count! [​IMG] Of course, she is a great egg source.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I feel the same way! We hatched some chicks and I got 3 BR pullets at the feed store so I'd know which ones to spend time taming. They are just so naturally gentle and loving. Very tenacious when it comes to trying to remove buttons...

5. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I'm right there with you! I have a pretty eclectic selection of chickens (my chicken math has been in overdrive for a while now), but my faves are still my BRs! And mine lay just as reliably as my sexlinks. My only regret is that none of mine will go broody. Oh, well ... I have discovered that a Silkie hen can, if she really stretches, cover six BR eggs. [​IMG]

Okay, I have to edit this because my "house roo" Doo Roo is sitting on my shoulder, and I suspect he's learned how to read ... my BRs AND my Dutchies are my faves ... and Dutchies are a better "house chicken" size.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by