Smoke Alarms ..they really DO save lives and homes!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mmtillman, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. mmtillman

    mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

    [​IMG]I found out first hand today about the priceless value of having a smoke alarm!!! I had rushed in here to my office, in the back of my house, to get my camera to photograph a winter bird on my window sill........
    I had just turned on the stove to cook my morning eggs...and I admit...I got sidetracked on my PC when I came back in here ...and yes...it was BYC..but that is beside the point....[​IMG]
    Anyway...I was looking at post on the forum and this annoying noise was going on ...but I thought it was just my husbands stupid police scanner or maybe my new cell phone making a new sound, and I choose to ignore it, as I was reading a really interesting post....
    Finally the constant beeping was gettin on my nerves...so I went in to check it out and yep...my frying pan was ablazin on the stove!!
    And, I , in my panic, grabbed it ...tossed it in the sink and ..DUH...turned on the water !! ....Just as the water hit the flames I remembered ...NEVER put water on a grease fire...so I grabbed a tea towel and swatted out the flames!
    Anyway ....all is well..but as I calmed down I realized how close I came to a major diseaster , had we not had the smoke alarms with the fresh batteries installed every DST !! ( daylight savings time )
    So the moral to this story is ....Please, please , anyone who doesnt have them ...please dont let a little 9v battery, cause you to loose your home or even worse, a precious life....
    All kidding aside...I thank God it was not any worse, then it could have been and just wanna share my story in hopes it helps someone else prevent a tragedy.
     
  2. ksacres

    ksacres At Your Service

    Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Are you sure the moral of the story isn't:

    When you hear incessent beeping, leave BYC and check it out...
     
  3. halo

    halo Got The Blues

    6,069
    34
    291
    Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Whoa, that must have been very scary! Thank goodness it turned out okay. Smoke Alarms are definitely worth while.
     
  4. congdon476

    congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

    503
    1
    141
    Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Quote:[​IMG]

    my thoughts exactly [​IMG]
     
  5. key west chick

    key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Don't forget carbon monoxide detectors either. We have both in our house and thankfully, they have never gone off. Well, except for the time I caught the toaster in fire, but I was right there.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by