1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smoke in Kitchen

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by EweSheep, Jan 23, 2009.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    My dear lovely daughter wanted to make her own toast, a new toaster was being used. She is only four years old and it is not her first time making toast.

She had the dial up waaaaaaaaaaaaay high and the burnt toasts really smoked up my house and I immediately open the windows to fan it out.

It has been over four hours ago and still smell it.

What do I need to do to get rid of the smell? It is just as bad as the self cleaning oven.

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    You can't. Time is what it takes and scented candles to camouflage the smell.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    bowls of vinegar in the room....or is it baking soda...lol...its one of those,good luck, Wendy

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Cook something that smells better! I have done that, it requires a lot of fresh air, and I did end up masking the smell by baking cookies! [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Febreeze for the curtains, furniture and carpet works. (some folks say it's harmful to pets... I don't believe it)

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I feel with you. Mine want to fix their own food too. I put a mark on where to set the toaster and i have a microwave that as a 30 second button. Nothing has burned down yet . I now ordered cooking mama for the WII atleast playing this isnt dangerous.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Bowls of vinegar. And Febreeze.

8. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Quote:My then 17 yr old burnt cinnamon rolls in the mic the pkg said to cook them 10 min in the oven she put 10 min in the micro. It took 2 days to get the smell out of the house and about a week for the micro. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    My two year old is a kitchen terrorist. He LOVES to crank the toaster dial when I'm not looking... The little dear [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    I feel your pain, my house smells like burnt popcorn right now!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by