1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

smoked quail

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by hooksetz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. hooksetz

hooksetz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I mix a bowl of diced 'maters, diced bell peppers, diced onions, mushrooms, minced garlic, and fresh spinach; sprinkle the concoction w/adobo to taste and stuff inside the little guys, I then wrap each bird in the thickest deli bacon I can find, sprinkle the whole bird bacon and all w/adobo again and place in my grill, using the indirect heat method on an oak fire.... when the bacon is done, the birds are as well. I've tried quail everyway possible and by far this is the best yet...Enjoy and happy grillin'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i tried smoked quail once,, but it made me cough too much [​IMG]

i might try this, this weekend [​IMG]

3. hooksetz

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    you mean you tried smoking quail once, lol;)

4. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

...i did not inhale!....

Rofl

The recipe sounds very very good. Do you suppose it would work for duck or chicken as well? I am thinking if i skewered the bacon onto the chicken, maybe?

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:Yes you did! I saw the pics on myspace!

6. hooksetz

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I made this afternoon and here it is, can you taste it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh I am going to try that. I love the way that the bacon looks like a thong or one of those wrestling outfits [​IMG]

Just to clarify are you cooking using a smoker or a wood/coal fire on the grill?

8. hooksetz

Feb 10, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    oak in the smokebox and charcoal on the opposite side of the meat up top, indirect heat method.

9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    so smoking temp like 200-250 till bacon is done or higher heat than that? I designed an outdoor kitchen several years ago and got the componants from texas pit crafters. It was a home project and one of my favorites and most useful. (I did all the tile work and frankly love it). I have smoked just about everything in it my favorites being catfish and whole pork shoulder, I never had smoked quail, I am probably going to try a few dry rubs with it as well. I cant wait got my first quail egg today from one of my little ones and soon I will have lots. And anything wrapped in bacon is [​IMG]

10. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    The little guys look like their wearing baccon diapers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by