1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smoking a Bourbon Red - Need Suggestions - Updated w/ Pics Page 2!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Nov 28, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have a 9 pound hen that I raised that I am wanting to smoke in my cabinet smoker. I've never done it before, so looking for any suggetions.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    Brine first, slice and smoke. Should be awesome! Thanks for the idea, I'll try smoking some bird.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The cabinet smoker didn't come with directions?

4. ShadyHoller

ShadyHoller Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Willamette Valley
    We love smoked turkey. I use an old-school, offset fire-box smoker, and we burn apple wood or pear wood or alder. What TomG said: brine first. That's essential. The brine starts a physical change in the muscle that prevents it from becoming so dry and stringy after hours in the smoker.

Here's a good intro on bringing: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/ND01_ISBriningbasics.pdf
    (My
    apologies to folks who have seen me post that same link before - I know I'm being repetitive, but I think it's helpful)

We quarter the legs and breast fillets off the carcass, then brine, then smoke. The rest of the carcass becomes stock for a soup.

Here's one tip we have had good success with: smoke the bird for two or three hours, then move it to the oven to finish it off. That way, it gets a nice light smoked flavor, and doesn't get overly smoked or that dried out leathery skin that a whole day in the smoker can do.

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Thanks ShadyHoller, this is exactly what I was wanting to know. Would you still quarter it with it only being 9 pounds? If so, probably wouldn't take too long.

6. one more time.... Brine First ! [​IMG]

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I just finished reading the link Shady posted and came back and saw this. I brined the two turkeys that I roasted for Thanksgiving. I used salt, brown sugar, lemons, oranges, and fresh rosemary and thyme in my brine. They turned out great. It was the first time we had heritage turkey, and I can tell you I will be doing them again next year. So should I use the same brine for this bird?

8. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Made my first turkey sausage, aged and added seasoning. Turned out great.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Mother used to smoke turkey in her barbeque pit with an electric rotisserie and didn't brine first. They were not extremely tender but they were still darned good!

10. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I thought you were talking about a cigar. LOL! Shows I don't know anything about meat birds.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by