1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Smoking bans....... your thoughts????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by babylady4, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    We have recently banned smoking in bars, restaurants, etc.... here in WI. I am enjoying it immensely; I no longer reek of smoke after going out with friends, and I can breathe after these nights out.

I am curious to hear what others have to say on this topic and their justifications of their position.

2. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I'm fine with the ban. I don't smoke anymore, but even years ago when I did, I completely understood others wanting to eat in a smoke free environment. I would step out to smoke even when it was okay to smoke inside. Nowadays I've long since quit and the smell of cigarettes makes me sick, so I'm extra glad it's banned. People can smoke outside or at home, there's no need to pollute restaurant air.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think smoking outside is fine... or if inside..have a totally seperate, closed off, "smoking" room for folks.

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    The responses that go along with that last sentence of yours will be what gets this shut down, unfortunately. Some people can't debate without taking it personal and insulting others, which ends with others getting their feelings hurt and responding in kind. These type threads never seem to go well.
    Good luck.

Having said that, I don't smoke and am quite sensitive to cigarette smoke, so I'm always appreciative of a smoke free area and smokers that are kind enough to smoke a bit away from entrances.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:You talking to me?

6. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I like smoking bans. I wish they would ban smoking right outside the door as well. Sometimes there is no way to get in or out without walking through a haze of smoke, which kind of defeats the purpose of the ban. This is especially bad in buildings with long covered entry ways, where the smoke has no place to go. I always try to walk through holding my breath. I think smokers should be in a completely separate area so non smokers can avoid the smoke altogether.

I am a former smoker, by the way.

7. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's called a free market. The odd thing is in this area when the market tried smoke free establishments they failed. Yet somehow it didn't fail on political stage. I find it extremely upsetting that the true democracy of peoples freedom of choice was taken away after the market said "let's still allow smoking."

8. WingingIt

Apr 16, 2009
    Quote:No, you only had one sentence, didn't mean you. It was in response to the OP's comment about wanting people to explain their stances. The last time I saw that on a smoking thread, people got offended at the reasons other people had for their preference and it went downhill from there.

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:No, you only had one sentence, didn't mean you. It was in response to the OP's comment about wanting people to explain their stances. The last time I saw that on a smoking thread, people got offended at the reasons other people had for their preference and it went downhill from there.

OOh okay! Had me worried there for a sec.. [​IMG]

10. WingingIt

Apr 16, 2009

OOh okay! Had me worried there for a sec.. [​IMG]

No problem, my error. Should have used the quote thing the first time, sorry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by