Smoky Mountain Chix Tractor/Garden Bed Maker/Breeding Pen...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DawnSuiter, Jul 16, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

This is our first tractor type thingy.
    My husband and I can move it together, and have some wheels we may attach. It's 4X8 inside and will be a spring/fall season home for a group of breeding hens and a summer home for an extra roo or two (to keep the gardening in progress)

Materials:
    5 Landscape Timbers $10
    25' Roll 3' Chicken Wire $20
    25' Roll 3' Hardware Cloth $25
    1 6X9' Blue tarp $6
    Assorted 2" & 4" screws
    Poultry Staples
    Hammer
    Drill
    Saw

and some extra fence boards we had on hand
    It took about 4 solid hours to build and we'll be making another just like it.
    If your interested in copying anything, please note that we used Chicken Wire for the top, to save a few bucks. This is not predator proof for most folks, and may not be enough for us. We have a dog on patrol that will prevent any other predators, and this is enough to deter him. So.. it's ok, we think for now.

2 8' landscape timbers for the left & right bottom, and 1 cut in half for the ends. 2 fence boards are for additional support for the wire (we cut the excess off the top later). Wrapped the chicken wire around, tucked the triangle corners like an envelope.
    [​IMG]

The corner construction, the hardware cloth skirt & bottom going on. The hardware cloth overlaps the chicken wire & we sewed the two together with leftover wire.
    [​IMG]

another shot of the skirting for which we have landscape staples to firmly plant the skirt into the ground
    [​IMG]

Inside the finished tractor..
    [​IMG]

Food/water shelf
    [​IMG]

Something to hop on/crawl under or whatever...they are still only a few weeks old.. they'll play with it somehow I'm sure
    [​IMG]

What do ya think?

2. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    It looks ok to me.....

I am in the process of making a tractor myself, I have hit a snag... I am not a builder by any stretch! Thankfully I am getting all the materials for free. I am at a standstill until Sunday, I put a water sealer on the coop portion I am building. And it has to dry for at least three days.

I will go to the library today and see if I can find a book on chicken tractors or coops that will inspire me with the "how to do" it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by