Smother each other at 5 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmerwannabe, Apr 25, 2008.

1. farmerwannabe

farmerwannabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Can 5-week-old chicks still smother each other by sleeping too close together? My cardboard box brooder got soaking wet (thanks to a tipped over waterer) and I've had to make an emergency replacement brooder that is not as large. THey are all crowded together - but do have the option to walk into another cardboard box that is attached (they've had that set up for several weeks now - ever since the first box got too small).

Are they smart enough to spread out in to the second box if they are too crowded in the first? Or do i need to quickly scramble and get something else tonight?

I'm hoping to have the chicken coop cleaned up well enough to move them out this weekend.

Thanks so much for your advice!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I've heard stories about chicks smothering each other....at five weeks I think they're big enough to figure it out and to fight their way out of the pile if necessary. at one point I had 20 5 wk old chicks in a very small brooder (right before they got transferred to the coop) because I didn't have any more room, and they had hardly any space yet were fine. I guess it may just depend on the chick! Some seem a little dumb [​IMG] but you never know....I wouldn't worry.....

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Yup they can if they don't have enough room. Lost one of my 4 week olds that I put in a tote just long enough to clean out the brooder. 5 min max.

4. farmerwannabe

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Quote:Well - they've got the room if they walk into the other box - = which they do when they're playing - but when they sleep, they all chose to huddle in one box. I hope they know enough to spread out in to both boxes if it's too tight to all lay down in the smaller box...

... not sure how much sleep I'll be getting tonight...

5. farmerwannabe

Mar 15, 2008
    Eastern PA
    Phew! They all made it through the night! [​IMG]

Thanks for your responses.

Now - let's hope I can get the coop cleaned out and ready for them by tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by