1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snack Ideas For Finicky Duckers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kellypepperk, Nov 26, 2012.

1. kellypepperk

kellypepperk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    Watermelon in the summer? No, thank you.
    Fresh pumpkin (with the seeds) topped with chopped lettuce? No, thank you.
    I've tried a bunch of other goodies as well and they just don't seem to be interested in anything but their crumbles...
    Any good ideas? For what it's worth - we're in Catskill Mountains and it does get very cold.
    Thanks duck lovers!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Dried mealworms are pricey but my ducks and chickens and my one goose love them so much it's worth the money just to see how happy they are when they get them. I just toss them on the ground and they have a field day. also grapes but i usually only buy them in the summer. Mine did eat the pumpkin I bought them it just took them a month.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    My kids love peas. i buy the frozen packages then defrost. They get those every night with some corn or mixed veggies, then their Brewers Yeast flakes on top. Mine love the freeze-dried mealworms, also (or live). For a special treat, i have given them live mini feeder fish in a pail of water. It's very fun to watch them go fishing. [​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I will try the feeder fish next. and i had forgot the peas mine love them too.

5. Peeko

Peeko Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Northern California
    Our ducks are super picky, too. One of the things I've learned is that they don't necessarily dislike the food I'm offering, I'm just usually doing it wrong.

For instance, our ducks ignore kale, unless it's Lacinto kale. That gets gobbled up quick. Some days, they will want only red lettuce, when usually they like green leafy kinds. Frozen cubes of shredded cucumber as a pool treat are eaten very quickly.

Our drake often refuses black slugs, preferring the lighter shades, haha. They loooooove sow bugs. I'm starting to raise some in a plastic container. It's supposed to be easy- I'll find out! When I offer them sow bugs, they go nuts, literally inhaling the bugs as fast as they can. A couple dozen are gone in seconds. You can harvest the sow bugs off of fences at night.

Millet and brown rice are good treats, especially at this time of year when they are wanting to build up extra fat, but in moderation, of course.

6. kellypepperk

kellypepperk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2012
    Delaware County, NY
    I'll be home tomorrow to spoil the ducks... I'll let you know if we have any success!

7. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Mine love peas also! They also love cherry tomatoes, cut in half.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have a group of picky ducks myself. Peas, attract some, BOSS>? they do like it. I really don't do much in way of treats they are good at finding there own stuff but with winter i need to creative, i figure some of the horses alfalfa/hay cubes soaked may draw their attention!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bought timothy hay for my geese and the ducks and chickens are eating it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by