Snacks bad for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lady chicken whisperer, Oct 24, 2007.

1. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    I give my birds watermelon seeing as they wont touch canteloupe. Now ive been looking at some posts and people have been saying that they let their birds eat the melon rinds. It may be something i imagined but i thought melon rinds were bad for your chickens?

Just a little question i had.......

2. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    other than maybe getting the runs if they have too much i dont think that melon is bad for chickens. Mine would be dead now!

3. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    not the melons themselves, the melon rinds.

4. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Understand,......... thats what I meant sorry, ours eat the rinds down to the green part.

Edited to say after I get through thats all there is left! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    Spoied rotten.... 3 roos and one bb girl ( unfortunately bought6 straight run, lost one lil roo and one sex unknown);;;;;;I have been giving the almost.... 4 month olds, cantaloupe ,mostly just the seeds and pulp.... they will eat almost the whole rind, after i leave them very little left of what I eat, also give them a few blueberries...
    esp the 3 roos, by the time i find the what is left of a piece of rind its dirty and thin and hard to identify as rind.. so is the green bad for them?
    opinions tried a search

6. 6of6chicks

6of6chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    I give mine watermelon and cantaloupe. They don't eat the rinds, but that might be because I don't let them. I give all treats on a plastic tray, then pick up as soon as the snacks are gone (or they've eaten as much as I want them to). The tray keeps the snacks out of the dirt and helps keep the run clean.

7. ilovehorses

ilovehorses Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    My chickens wont touch canned carrots. Idk why and they also don't like much fruit either. My chickens must be fussy!

8. SoonerMykah

SoonerMykah Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Oklahoma
    We give ours melon all the time and they eat it all. They don't do cantaloupe at all. They love blackberries from our bushes and will eat any fruit we have.

9. Joules Newton

Joules Newton Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    I gave mine cantaloupe this week. They ate the pulp but ignored the rinds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by