Snacks for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rkane5150, Mar 31, 2011.

1. rkane5150

rkane5150 New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm pretty new to this chicken thing, but boy is it fun!
    I wanna give my girls a treat or two, any suggestions? I read they like banna peels and pumpkin inherds, i'm also thinking earth worms and meal worms.

Watcha think??

2. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    They love earthworms yes. Try apples, ours love it. Or a dead garder snake. Our loved that. Or corn flakes.

3. rkane5150

rkane5150 New Egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Yeah, I heard apples were a good idea. i was think about some meal worms, TSC sells a bag of dead ones for $10, why can't I go to the bait store and get a pack of 100 for $3?
    I'm always looking for the cheap way out:)

4. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Mealworms!! Favorite! However, we can not forget Yougurt, cottage cheese and plain cheese.Tomatoes or anything leafy such as cabbage from the garden. I grow chard just for the chickens. Turnip greens, beet greens and of course, the daily ration of scratch. All treats should be given in moderation. They need their pellets/crumbles for good egg production, but treats are fun for chickies and humans!!! My chickens are so spoiled that if they see me or my husband they come flying to the edge of their pen hoping for treats. I tell myself it's because they love me....not the treats they are expecting. LOL

1 person likes this.
  5. Donna5

Donna5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    my first treat for my 5 week olds was bread and they go crazy for it. I keep trying fruit and veggies but they aren't going for it. They do like dry oatmeal, sort of. I know everything in moderation, so is about 1 slice a day for the 5 of them moderation?

6. Bi0s

Bi0s Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Bland County VA!!!!!
    frozen peas in the bag they love them [​IMG]

7. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    My chickens like almost anything except carrots. Their favorites are mealworms & earthworms, cabbage, black oil sunflower seed, any greens like mustard, kale, etc., watermelon & cantelope (great for hot summer days), and meat. They go crazy over a pound of freezerburned ground venison! They like protein in any form they can get it, whether it's mealworms, baby snakes, frogs, or scrambled eggs.

8. Donna5

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    I always thought chickens were vegetarians, except for worms maybe. I never thought they would eat any kind of meat...really?

9. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    Give them the carcass from a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store & you'll see how "vegetarian" they are! Mine love it! Great source of protein for them too!

10. Donna5

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    isn't that just wrong..cannibalism? [​IMG] won't that encourage them to eat each other? lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by