Snacks for chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BentWillow, May 26, 2008.

1. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Hello all,
    I have posted this question before and gotten great responses. The suggestions of yogurt, cottage cheese and raisins have made me quite popular with my girls. This afternoon, I fed them some leftover bagged salad that came with dried cranberries, feta cheese and almond slivers. They attacked the feta cheese first, then the cranberries. Then they discovered the almonds. Everyone went wild and there were even a few fights over who got them. I never saw almonds on any of the safe lists before and when I Googled it, I only got recipes for Chicken Almondine. I remember having a pet parrot as a child and giving him all sorts of raw nuts, so I am guessing it is OK. Anyone ever tried them besides me?
    Kristen

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The almonds are fine. Don't feed them a lot of cheese, though. They have a hard time digesting it.

3. BentWillow

BentWillow Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    W. TN
    Thanks. I give them a tub of cottage cheese or yogurt about once a week or so. This is to be shared between the 25 of them. That's OK isn't it? I keep reading that yogurt especially is good for their digestion and for harder eggs. We have 15 wk old hens. I am trying to get them good and strong for the future eggs we may be getting soon. Any other advice? This is my first brood.

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The yogurt is great for them. I'm not so sure about cottage cheese. I'm sure they love it but you probably shouldn't give them too much of it. I free feed oyster shell for calcium. They know how much they need and they just pick at it when they want to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by