Snacks for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityGirlFlock, Jul 27, 2014.

1. CityGirlFlock

CityGirlFlock In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hello Flock People!! First time Mother Hen here. My chicks are 5 weeks old. I have only been feeding them organic grower feed and water with ACV. How old do they have to be before I am able to introduce "snacks" i.e. meal worms, veggies, fruits, garlic, etc. Thanks for your input.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Gee, at 5 weeks you can give them treats...try some mealworms first would be my suggestion. If you want your girls to be friendly there's nothing better than dried mealworms. Hold them in the palm of your hand and watch them disappear! [​IMG]

3. CityGirlFlock

Mar 31, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thank you iwiw60. I'll start with mealworms!! :D

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yes, and when they go for them you can talk to them quietly and sneak in some petting maybe! I'm the type that likes to go easy with the treats at first. You could also hard boil an egg (I don't know how many chicks you have, but my 4 I cooked one) and mash it up really fine and give it to them, but look out! They'll go crazy for it! [​IMG]

5. chix88

chix88 In the Brooder

Mar 4, 2014
    North Yorkshire UK
    hi my 6week olds snack on chopped blueberries and grapes and a small slice of melon when the big girls get theirs in the afternoon

6. ryferre

ryferre In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2014
    Take your extra summer squash cut it into large chunks and let them peck away! They love it! (hopefully you have fresh squash)....

7. CityGirlFlock

Mar 31, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thanks chix88. I have blueberries and watermelon. I'll start sharing it with them today :D

8. CityGirlFlock

Mar 31, 2014
    New Jersey
    ryferre, I planted so much zucchini this year!! I'll share it with them too :D

9. samandemsmommy

samandemsmommy Chirping

Jul 14, 2014
    Hickory, NC
    My chicks are two weeks old--- can they have mealworms at this age? - sorry to hijack your post and ask my own question- lol ;)

10. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    ABSOLUTELY! Hold them in the palm of your hand and watch the chaos begin!! [​IMG] Just don't overfeed treats too much...have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: