snacks for day-old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by darcylapp, Jul 8, 2010.

1. darcylapp

darcylapp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Madison
    Can I give any other snacks, other than the chick feed, to day-old-chicks?

2. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Thats so funny! I was about to post the same question!

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

NO snacks for the first week !

If you want to do well with your chicks, they need all the PROPER nutrition they can consume for starting out.

4. RuffledFeathers

RuffledFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2009
    Issaquah, WA
    Ok, at the risk of being a bad chicken mommy, I do give my chicks some treats at about 3-4 days old. I always put out a little tray of washed sand/grit first, so they have something to help grind the food, and usually I start with greens chopped up into the teeniest, tiniest, pieces I can chop- I mean microscopic! Sometimes it's cabbage, or lettuce, or mustard greens. One of the easiest things to prepare is raw broccoli- just shave off some of the tops and they fall into super-fine pieces.
    I also think it's fun to let them have a taste of the fine-shredded parmesean cheese. Snacks are VERY limited at that age- if I have 10 chicks, I bring out maybe a tablespoon's worth of treats once a day.
    It's mostly to get interaction with them and to train them that I am good and not scary. Seems to work for me.

5. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Well, maybe we broke some rules but we dropped in some crickets for our 2 day old chicks. The chicks tore them to pieces and ate them all up, the dominate ones especially. We have normal chick feed and chick grit in the brooder also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by