Snacks for the kids!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by budda, Jun 14, 2011.

1. budda

budda Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    So my seven 4 week olds LOVE crickets from Petco. They also go bonkers for giant mealworms. I brought home some wheat yesterday and they spent an hour working it all over. They hate yogurt but in the last week introduced them to fruits and vegetables and I found they love limes, bananas and watermelon. I swear my girls are spoiled rotten at only 4 weeks old.

2. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    My spoiled little beasts get an evening snack of chopped apple. I happened to have a lonely heel slice of bread lying around this evening, so I figured I'd give them that as well. At first it was all about the apple, and the bread was just a convenient standing spot, until somebody tried it and realized that it was good. Chaos ensued!

I've never tried them with crickets, but they do love ants. They also go completely bonkers for moths.

3. budda

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    Mine like ants too as long as they are the big ones. They also will grab skeeters off your leg in the evenings. Just gotta be careful though be aide they will snag leg hair too and it hurts. Men weren't made for people or critters to be plucking hairs!

4. Hwlchickmama

Hwlchickmama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Mine don't like yogat either!! When did u start giving them that stuff?!?!?! And do you give grit or you just have them outside?!?!? Rt now I have them in the box w/ pine shavings I'm too motherly to let them roam in the yard....

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Bought my girls Super Worms today, it was like I gave them the Crowned Jewels. One would grab & 3 other would chase her for it. It was too funny. The cabbage I gave them yesterday is gone (10 girls).[​IMG]
    Was so tempted to get a couple more chicks, but I did not want to worry about integrating them into the flock later on. The baby geese were too adorable, but then there is the fence & pool for them.

6. budda

May 2, 2011
    Atlanta GA
    Quote:Mine have been out and about since 2.5 weeks old. I give them grit and I pulverize egg shells for them but they do more picking and scratching in their 10x12 vrun than I can ever supplement. Mine have been so much more happy since letting them roam. I bring them leafy branches and wheat grass to play in too.

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    I experimented with Grape-Nuts and applesauce today. They liked the G-N ok, but were up to their eyeballs in the applesauce, TOO FUNNY!!

8. Henicillin

Henicillin Pill Counting Pullet

Apr 12, 2011
    East Nassau, NY
    Today's new foods were chopped strawberries and kale. The strawberries are a huge hit, but they aren't so hot on the kale. They demolished the strawberries, then went to work on the kale. Obviously they have a collective sweet tooth - or beak - and would rather eat dessert than their greens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by