1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

snacks to fly with

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by hunterjumper999, Mar 20, 2011.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    we are embarking friday on 16 total hours to travel. Anyone want to share any reasonably easy recipes that will do well in a backpack with books, notebooks ect for 16 hrs. I'm traveling with someone who hungry = cranky.

2. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Dried fruit and beef jerky.

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Pretzels, cheese nips or chex mix if you like salty & crunchy, or nuts or sunflower seeds - my husband's standard travel snacks include raisenets & gummy bears - he has a sweet tooth. and don't forget a bottle of water!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. eggsforsale

eggsforsale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Idaho
    Trail mix with nuts and beef jerky. Protein is always more satisfying. I love almonds.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I pack a combination of sweet, salty, spicy & lots of water drinks.

6. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:On a flight to Santiago Chile I took sliced fennel salami, cashews, cheese wafers (my recipe is here), homemade biscotti (recipe is also here) and some oil cured olives. 6 hours to Miami and 8 to Santiago. On the Miami to Santiago leg I gave some cheese wafers and biscotti to the flight attendants and next thing ya know I'm being given a choice of what was being served in First Class... Most flight attendants aren't used to passengers giving them good treats. At SFO airport on flights to Newark NJ I would buy some California Rolls at the airport - those really hit the spot.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    from now on I'm flying with mike!

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Do remember to be considerate of your fellow passengers & not pack anything strong smelling (no garlic or limburger [​IMG])

Some flights won't allow fresh fruit, but you can carry on a wrap or sandwich that contains it - peanut butter & banana or apple.

Mike has the secret to the COMP Upgrade (if such a thing exists anymore):
    Take a treat to the desk agent when you ask - buy a cake or some cookies and tell them you don't want to carry on these things & BTW would they like them?
    These agents usually get the rough edge of everyone's tongue & appreciate some courtesy.
    Sharing with the flight attendants will certainly get you some perks too.

9. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Glad I looked at the title again! I thought I read snakes to fly with and thought what the heck???

10. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

I smoke cigars, Cuban cigars. So if I am going some place sort of swank on a special occasion I take one of my Cohibas and pack it in a little zippered bag. We get a man waiter as soon as he greets us I quietly ask him if he ever smokes cigars - most young men do from time to time. I slip him the Cohiba and tell him to enjoy it at the end of his shift. Usually that guarantees not only great service but some comped dessert from the pastry station. Service employees have a rough life - the pay is lousy, sometimes the biggest tables (families with children) are the lousiest tippers and most days they barely get by. The gratuity goes a long way - and flight attendants, geez talk about a life... I'm 64, I remember flying a lot as a little kid - back then you wore your Sunday Best when you flew (remember what Sunday Best were ??) and never would dream of making a lot of noise or misbehaving. Nowadays people feel so "entitled" and have little regard for their fellow passengers or the flight crew. Being polite or exceptionally nice to the flight attendants really makes their day - doesn't guarantee you're gonna get comped something from First Class but why not be a good person just because ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by