Snacks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmwright, Jul 8, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    What do you give your chickies for snacks? I've read some suggestions here (and tried them) and so far they rejected the watermelon, peaches, and plain yogurt. They like the spaghetti, and LOVE the mealworms. Any other ideas? They were jumping in to my lap yesterday for the worms!

2. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Mine really like boiled eggs mashed up so that there are no definable pieces of egg. Also, just make sure they have access to some grit for eating worms and such...

3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Mine go crazy for crickets. A piece of good sized cardboard laid flat overnight is a cricket magnet. You can save them in an old aquarium with wood pulp egg cartons, or just lift it up in the morning. They'll know whats up. [​IMG]

4. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Crickets! Our garden supplies a plenty to catch and the chicks love it.

5. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    oat meal (cooked or raw), brown rice, white rice, raisins, a head of cabbage - yum! Don't forget the grit.

6. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Mine like grapes, tomatoes, Ezekiel Bread soaked in milk topped with grit, strawberries, boiled rice...they didn't really care for boiled egg, worms or yogurt. This is all that I've attempted to give them so far. I'm sure they'll come around on the worms. Hopefully anyway, because I've got tons of slugs and snails in my yard that I was hoping they would enjoy. Otherwise, they free-range every day so I'm sure they're eating other little bugs and things.

7. MKKimmen

MKKimmen Out Of The Brooder

Mine really seem to love the raw oatmeal! They go nuts for it! I am going to try raisins this weekend too! How much Grit do you need to give them?? The local TSC told us to just mix it in their food. So thats what we have been doing, seems to be working fine.

8. darcylapp

darcylapp Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Madison
    My older chicks (9-weeks old and 11-weeks old) love cheese and mealworms.

I'm wondering if I can give my three-day-old chicks mealworms. Does anybody know?

9. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Raisins! Mine (6 weeks old) LOVE raisins. Most of them will jump on my lap or onto my shoulder for a raisin. Hard boiled eggs are a favorite, too. And the trimmings from dinner veggies or the garden. They have also had strawberries and raspberries, which took them a little time to decide they liked, but once they did- oh, boy! They are also outside most of the day now, so I don't worry about grit. They get what they need poking about in the dirt. When they were in the brooder, I gave them a box of sand which they loved.

10. jenn-E

jenn-E Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    Cheese! Mine love shred of mozzarella.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by