Snake attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by isisoasis, Mar 2, 2013.

1. isisoasis

isisoasis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Far North Queensland
    I'm new to BYC. Early this morning I lost 3 chickens to a 12 ft python. They had been crushed - thankfully not eaten. One of my two survivors has had one side of her beard torn off and there are long pieces hanging down and there has been lots of blood. She's pretty freaked out and I haven't tried to give her a wash yet, but she needs a bath, a cuddle and something on the wound. Would Betadine be OK to put on her face? She's quite swollen but is drinking and eating well and the bleeding has stopped. Can't get her to a vet until tomorrow. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Are you sure it was a snake? And could you post a picture of your hen? Betadine should be alright, just don't get it in her eye. Dab it on the wound with a Q-tip of something similar so it's cleansed, then let the vet check her out tomorrow. I hope she's alright. [​IMG]

3. isisoasis

isisoasis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Far North Queensland
    Yes laceynoelle. Definitely a snake - it was trapped in the henhouse. Unfortunately had to be killed as it would have crushed and eaten all my girls. Was a beautiful snake - very sad for snake and chickens. I'll clean up Ripley and take a photo. Thanks!!

PS - Cleaned her up yesterday and applied Betadine. This morning looks much better. Has dried up and the swelling is down a bit. The bruising is coming out more, but she seems fine. She went to bed last night with a nice full crop and even gave me an egg this morning - what a little trooper!

PSS - Both surviving chickens are well and seem happy (if a little skittish). I've been getting two eggs each day since the attack. ISA Browns really are a very hardy hen and excellent layers.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by