snake deterrent but not kill chickens if they eat deterrent

linda527

Hatching
Apr 18, 2022
Hi. New here. Just found this site and love all the info! My question is-- Our chickens have a chicken yard and coop but free range our property when we are home. last night we had a copper head snake on our driveway. I need advice on what I can put out to deter snakes from our living area/yard but not harm chickens if they happen to eat whatever I put out since they free range our property. any advice? Thanks!

They are more likely there for the eggs or the mice that feed brings when improperly stored. They will only eat a chicken if really hungry. They will eat chicks though. Snakes can go long periods without food. I would be more worried about the humans getting poisoned. If it is legal in your state I'd kill it. I know I'm probably upsetting some people. But it's easy for a human to step on one unknowingly..your Chickies on the other hand will run because they are closer to the ground and will see it before you do. Meanwhile, keep your feed properly stored so it doesn't attract mice and be diligent about gathering all eggs. Also worry about second hand poisoning..if you poison the snake..and don't find the carcass, your chickens will eat it and it could kill or harm them. Good luck..I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful..

They are more likely there for the eggs or the mice that feed brings when improperly stored. They will only eat a chicken if really hungry. They will eat chicks though. Snakes can go long periods without food. I would be more worried about the humans getting poisoned. If it is legal in your state I'd kill it. I know I'm probably upsetting some people. But it's easy for a human to step on one unknowingly..your Chickies on the other hand will run because they are closer to the ground and will see it before you do. Meanwhile, keep your feed properly stored so it doesn't attract mice and be diligent about gathering all eggs. Also worry about second hand poisoning..if you poison the snake..and don't find the carcass, your chickens will eat it and it could kill or harm them. Good luck..I'm sorry if this wasn't helpful..
Thanks so much for the reply. My husband did kill it. I'm not so much worried about them getting to my chickens. I'm just not sure what to put done to deter the snakes from coming around my home/driveway and living area. we have 9 acres (most is wooded. I know we have snakes in the woods on our property (don't like it but I know they are there lol) but I want to put something out to deter them from coming close to house. Because our chickens free range, I don't want them to be harmed if they eat whatever I use to deter the snakes. The chickens roam over about 3 acres (when we are home and let them out). I believe this snake came from under a tractor that has been sitting for several months.

Good answer above, snakes come for the rodents the chicken feed attracts and stay for the eggs and chicks. Find Howard E.'s posts on rodents, some of the best researched and best written advice I have seen. Wild birds attract the winged predators too so work on feed security and sanitation first, poisoning is the last resort.

They release a odor that smells sort of like cucumbers when you're close enough for them to bite. If I smell one I turn around and walk in the opposite direction real slow so they won't bite. They're impossible to see in dried leaves.

Well, crap, not having regained my sense of smell from having COVID a year ago could bite me in the butt!
Copperheads won't usually bite unless you get too close or step on one.We walked over them when they stretched out across the road when we was kids .They never moved or coiled up to fight unless we threw rocks at them..

Back
Top Bottom