1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snake had no chance

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by GwenReaper, Sep 13, 2009.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    After seeing a post on here the other day that chickens like to eat small snakes... I was cleaning my yard and found 4 small garden snakes. I caught them and then I threw them in with the chickens. It was so fun watching them go after it. I now know that one of my hens is very greedy. I have 5 hens and out of the 4 snakes she got 3 of them.. ate them up!!! Like a spagetti noodle...

This is my greedy girl Priscilla

[​IMG]

2. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Too bad you did that, if you are a gardener. Those snakes eat harmful garden bugs like slugs and grasshoppers.

Oh, well...

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good source of protein.

4. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Quote:Luckily we do not have a garden. Maybe next year, but we were cleaning out some of the back areas and we kept finding those tiny snakes. There are tons still out there. We got 4 out of maybe 10 we saw. We thought that the chickens would have fun, and they did. The other chickens were chasing Priscilla around begging for her to share... she wanted nothing to do with that idea, haha

5. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:I won't feed those to our chickens but I do make my boys relocate them to the woods. They have eaten quite a few of our pond fish...[​IMG]

6. allison finch

allison finch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I doubt those ate pond fish. Garter snakes will, but I believe those are brown snakes. They stay very small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by