Snake hunter!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sbtgal, Oct 23, 2011.

1. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    Casey and I took some treats out for the girls. When she put the bowl down, all of them came running except one. She was standing perfectly still like she was hypnotized. She was totally ingnoring the feeding frenzy behind her. I walked towards her to see what was wrong and found her in a staring match with this....

[​IMG]

Turns out it is just a checkered garter snake, but she wasn't about to let it move! GOOOOOOD GIRL! [​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm scared to death of snakes. I hate finding one in my yard, I dont mind garter snakes or green or black or king snakes but they still scare me. But ones with poison like copper heads. Hate those.

3. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    That's awesome!

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I would have had a heart attack.

5. countrychicken00

countrychicken00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2010
    Oregon
    If you are having a problem of snakes come right here for the amazing chick![​IMG]
    You will see the chick make sure the snake dosen't move or else.
    [​IMG]

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Cute snake. Wish we had those here.

7. sbtgal

sbtgal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    Austin
    Yeah, after I googled it to make sure it wasn't poisonous, we were able to handle it quite easily. It only tried to bite once. REALLY beautiful snake! We let it go since there is a problem in our neighborhood with rodents. But after my girls start laying, if we start missing eggs, it's toast!

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I dont believe garter snakes would eat eggs. So dont "toast" him!

9. nope. he wont. he will only eat mice, crickets, worms, flys, frogs, bats, creepy crawlies, etc. they are very good to have around. Wait until he sheds! the skin is really neat to have around as a souviner. [​IMG] They can get a little agressive when they are shedding because they cant see very well, other than that they are a lot of fun.

Enjoy!

10. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    My chickens love eating snakes, Once one of my hens got a snake all to herself without the other chickens trying to get it from her, and she swallowed the thing whole. She had but a few gulps left to get the snake swallowed. The tail of the snake was still hanging out of her mouth. The image reminds me of my brother when he eats spaghetti or Ramen Noodles, and the noodles are hanging out of his mouth. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by