Snake..I found MOM or DAD. Hope no more..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Country Living Farm, May 19, 2010.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    found it under some stuff behind the shed where I just put up a grow out pen. I though i was missing chicks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] well I must say I was NOT hoping you were in Florida!! I HATE snakes, and especially BIG Ones like that!! What kind is it??

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    [​IMG] thats a big snake!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Harmless yellow rat snake. I have a whole family living here. Not my idea of fun, but we haven't seen a roach, rat or mouse in years. [​IMG]

They will eat chicks and eggs though - I have had to invest heavily in hardware cloth!

5. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Yep, big rat snake!!! He/She was relocated sevreal miles away. Like I said, my chicks were looking less and less I just though it was me no really less and less. O, it did have a big buldge about half way down!!!

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    They are so bad here in FL, especially the yellow rat snakes, they have a taste for birds! Can't tell you how many baby chickens, eggs, baby finches I've lost. They'll squeeze into the tightest of spots. Even found one in my bluebird nest 6ft up on the telephone pole...they're not welcome here. Red rat snakes I've never had problems with even though I've seen them, always been the yellow.

7. Country Living Farm

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    It was about 6 1/2 to 7 foot long

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    WOW! 6.5-7 foot long....that IS big!!! I killed one here 2 years ago just over 5 feet long trying to constrict my full grown Buff Orpington hen. We grow em big down here in the south lol!

9. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Wow! That's a big snake. It doesn't look like you're holding the head very tightly. Did it settle down and allow you to hold it without the "clamp of death" around it's neck? I guess I just don't like to get bitten, but I haven't caught one even half that size that would allow me to hold it in such a relaxed way.

I'm glad you didn't kill it, but sorry it was eating your chicks. It's an interesting arrangement - nature and chickens; huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by