Snake in coop ate 3 of my baby chickens! San Marcos Tx

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wholisticmidwife, May 14, 2010.

1. wholisticmidwife

wholisticmidwife New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    Went out this morning to a freaking out cotgi. Missing 2 baby chicks about 4 weeks old. Than I found a snake in ther corner. It was prettu big(esp with those lumps in it). I called animal control and they got it fast and relocated it. He said it was a chicken snake. looked like the Texas rat snake with tan and dark brown diamonds that extended past the back around the belly. Very coppery colored in the light. and fiesty! Guess we now know what happened to Baby Gaga last week too! Life is esp hard on the little creatures! Im going to plug up any holes this afternoon. Any pics of the mesh that goes on the outside and down to the ground?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I dont have a picture but if you look up 'hardware cloth' on Google, you will see it there. I put mine to the ground then 'apron' it out about 12 inches away from the coop and cover it with dirt and sow grass seed over it. [​IMG]

Sorry your snake was so sneaky!! [​IMG]

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    We dig 12" down with our fencing.

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:I'm too lazy to dig
    Thats why I apron it out. [​IMG]

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL

My DH makes me do the digging - - -and I can't complain since he builds to coop ! ! !
    I did try to talk him into the aproning method - - - but he just won't hear none of it ! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nvmycj

nvmycj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010

how does the apron work? Is it on the outside or inside of the run? Is it visible?

7. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Outside the run...turned out along the perimeter of your pen. I have mine buried and imbedded in concrete 12-14" down. Also, steel wool and insulation foam in crevices works to keep snakes and rodents from entering gaps. Rats/mice can fit through any hole thier head can fit in. Snakes are initially attracted to rodent signs, so keeping them out goes a long way to keeping snakes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by