Snake in the feed barn.... and I'm glad

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, May 8, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Saw a snake in the feed barn yesterday, I have been leaving the door cracked open in the hopes one would come and visit. The mice were getting into the feed bags - the snake should have them gone in no time. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

2. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG]

good job hope they catch all those masty little meeces.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

they are better than a cat any day... plus they leave when the job is done.

Steve

4. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    Quote:right on

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Just always remember to tell DW there is a snake in there. It's funny she goes in there making noise and one step at a time. [​IMG] Since we live in eastern NC - one of the snake hot spots of the world we even have an ID system for snakes. BAS - Big a** snake or LAS - Little . That way I know if I need to come quick when she sees one in the chicken house.

Steve

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I am disappointed that I have only seen one snake on my property so far. I hope there's others out there, just hiding too well for me to find!

Incidentally, Steve -- I'm hatching out some eggs from you (for Chere, walkswithdog). Although they aren't "due" til tomorrow, they started hatching yesterday. Funny lookin' little buggers!

ETA -- oh, I forgot to specify -- TURKEY eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  7. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yeah, well...I had a deal with the local 6 ft blacksnake that he could have all the moles, voles, rats and cats he could catch but he had to leave my chickens alone! So, when I opened up the chix house and found him lying on the shelf with a chick sized bump in his gut, he met with a fatal accident. And, I cut him open and took back the chick. He wasn't going to keep it, not even dead! Seems eating the chick made him too fat to get back out the hole he got in through....

8. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    farmin'chick :

Yeah, well...I had a deal with the local 6 ft blacksnake that he could have all the moles, voles, rats and cats he could catch but he had to leave my chickens alone! So, when I opened up the chix house and found him lying on the shelf with a chick sized bump in his gut, he met with a fatal accident. And, I cut him open and took back the chick. He wasn't going to keep it, not even dead! Seems eating the chick made him too fat to get back out the hole he got in through....

Yep... once they eat a chick they will look for more.​

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I've been known to catch snakes and bring them up to the barn, but when a black Rat Snake about 5 ft long ate one of my baby pigeons, and then started eating 3-4 chicken eggs a day, I killed him.

I had relocated him to another barn after the pigeon, but when he started wiping out the hen eggs, he had to go.

In the past couple of weeks, I've lost 6 of my 2 year old Buff Orp hens to what I suspect is a family of foxes, but so far all Ive been able to trap is my own stupid cat!

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  10. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I hate snakes but I like the fact snakes eat rats so more power to them..LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by