Snake! Injured wild!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MonkeyZero, Jan 22, 2008.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Ok, In my front yard, a 2 1/2 to 3 ft white, fat, snake was found now. The top of its side, right behind its head is kinda scartched, and red. Its pure green. Its not moving much. I put it in a 50 gal tank, with a small water dish, UVA light, a few(like 10) crickets(i use for turtles). Its isnt moving a lot, but comes over to my hand when I put it into the tank. It is sittingthere in my room. The emergency clinics are pricy and Dad is sleeping now and said we'll do something tommorow, what can I do for it. Sorry I dont have a cam anymore to snap a pic. I'll find a pic of what it looks like. what do I do about it, and how do I care for it?

2. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Where in the world are you?? This is January, and you just don't find snakes out in January, at least not where I come from...

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Quote:Can you explain the injury a little better? Take off the UVA light, they dont need it, also, it might not be an insectivore. The crickets might try to snack on the snake though, so it would probably be best to remove them. Try not touching it either, as its possible its venomous. Also, knowing your location would really help. Seeing as its white, I'd say its a lost pet snake. You dont see many white snakes in the wild, too easy for predators to pick it off.

4. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Ding DOng,

The doorbell ringed, I opened the door, and found a note. It said:

Dear Reptile Person

I have heard many people saying that you have lots of reptiles. I can no longer take care of my snake, so I left it at your house. It is a Blizzard Corn . I have had it ship to my house, until i decided I can no longer care for it. Please take good care of it. I believe it's a girl, her name is Gazella.

From...

I am freaked out! How would some dude know I have reptiles?! A lot of people know I have 23 turtles, and had 3 geckos. Never a snake! HelpPLEASE!

I put a large long half wood, thing for it., Its underneath it.

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Uv light and crickets are out. It is like a bloody looking spot that looks like someone hit it. IDK what color snake blood is, but its some kinda red mark, that seems like blood. I'm in Central Ca.

6. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    so which is it? white, red, or green?

7. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Where in Central CA? I am as well. I have 6 Corns. If its a Corn, it definitely needs to eat mice. As for the injury, Im not sure what to do with it, other than take it to a vet.

8. FeatherFluff

FeatherFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NC-VA border
    If the snake is friendly enough you could use a q-tip to clean the injured area with peroxide. Just keep an eye on it after that. There is a topical reptile med called Zylafen that you can get.. I ordered mine online but cannot remember where... maybe Petco or Petsmart?? Anyway, I used that with a wild black rat snake that was injured.... rehabbed it and released it successfully in 2006...saw it in 2007. Just give her a water bowl big enough for her to get into if she wants and a heat source...heating pads on low are great. Get her some frozen feeder mice and she will be happy. Not very nice of that person to drop her off at your house but lucky for the snake. Good luck!!

9. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Quote:Bigmess up. It is white, not green, accidently type green, cause baby einsteinwas on and the lady said green.

She is white, With the red head mark,that is, IMO and injury.

Im in modesto Ca

what is peroxide

I think i have something called Iodine Peroxide.
    Darn I just got back from petco, I got some frozen pinkies, and a heating pad, alsoa larger bowl, for water, and for it to cooldown in and a canelike thing that she can go into, and she just sits there. She ate 1 pinkie, and it just went down! i thinks shes getting better. That is what Petco said, and, the guy there said leave the injury alone, I dont trust them, So ya what is peroxide?

10. theOEGBman

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Im in modesto Ca

That's pretty creepy,lol. I lived in Modesto for the first 14 years of my life, now Im in Turlock.

How big is she? Pinkies might be too small. Also, I would atleast put some peroxide or something on the wound and keep an eye on it. I was at Petco yesterday,lol. I got a Corn from a breeder, I met her there.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by