snake pics, ID on one needed

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bayouchica, Aug 30, 2008.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    This one got caught in the act ,lol. More than a mouthful,it finally gave up egg was too big. I tired to offer it a bantam egg, but it got spooked. I moved the nestbox out of the coop because chickens were going to roost & pitching a fit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've seen several of this out in our pasture,this one was by the coop. Can anyone ID this snake?
    [​IMG]

Thanks, Miriam

2. brahma-momma

brahma-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    It is a rat snake

3. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    HI, the one on the very bottom pic? I thought the top two were a rat snake? Do they come in different colors,lol??

4. brahma-momma

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    from what i can see it is a rat snake also. they do come in different colors. if you do a google search you can find alot of pics for the various rat snakes.

5. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    thanks for your help [​IMG]

6. brahma-momma

Jun 18, 2008
    Burnside, Ky
    you are very welcome

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I tired to offer it a bantam egg, but it got spooked

You just dont stop getting more amazing dont you? [​IMG] Gorgeous Gorgeous snake.

That is exactly what I'd do, my grandma would be off trying to find a shovel, haha.

For some reason, the bottom pic makes me think Water snake, but I dont know why. Im not too familiar with snakes indigenous to Louisiana though. I thought maybe gray ratsnake after reading what the previous person posted, but when I looked at images and pattern didnt match up. I saw quite a few snakes with similar heads, but they all had dark eyes.​

8. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i would say Rat Snake and some type of banded watersnake. so many variations of color with both of these snakes...

9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    BEAUTIFUL rat snake!!! And THANK YOU for offering him a different egg!!! That story just brightened my day!!! [​IMG]

10. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

yes a rat snake. The eat rats,, chipmonks, mice,
    baby chicks. they eat all the eggs they can get & if you see 1 there are MANY many more & all hungry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by