1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snake skin in the run!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TinaK, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Yesterday my hubby went out to collect the eggs and feed the chooks and noticed a MASSIVE snake skin had been shed in our run! (The lovely hubby thought I needed to see it.... so he brought it in the house and put it on the kitchen table!!!!)

It was from a Tiger snake too. For those of you who don't know..... that is the 4th most venomous snake in the WORLD. Yikes!!!!

Now I know a monster snake is hiding out somewhere near my coop..... It kind of explains the lack of eggs. What I am going to do... I am not sure! I hate sneaky snakes and there is no way I can left the coop up to check if that is where it is living.....

YUK!

2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Can the chickens get under the coop?
    If not, try moth balls. My mother-in-law swears by them.

3. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    Ive heard of people making traps for them, maybe you could make some type of fall-into trap?

4. TinaK

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia

The chickens can't get under the coop.... Moth balls you say? Interesting! If your mother in law swears by them... I may give them a go! I don't have any moth balls here... but I think I can get them at the local store.

chickenpredatorkiller (lol... love the name) I have heard of people using a can or tin as a snake trap. They say to half open the tin, drain the contents, fold the half opened part of the lid inwards and pop some milk into the can.... The snake is meant to get it's head stuck.....

I'll have to do something. The coop is only 10 metres or so from the house!

Wonder where hubby put that snake skin when I told him to get it off my table? I should have snapped a picture!

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I read somewhere on here about using netting around the perimeter of a chickens run. The netting is loosely rolled up and placed around the perimeter. The snake crawls thru the netting and gets tangled. I'm not to sure about any other details. I have thought about trying this this Summer.

6. TinaK

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    I do worry that if the snake gets tangled up or caught in a trap that the chickens might be attracted to it's struggles and possibly drawn in to have a look! I also worry that the dogs might find a trapped snake before I do!

I wish I just saw the bugger cruising out into the paddock... so I could chop him in half with my .410!

7. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    I've have caught at least 3 snakes with the bird netting. All of them had their heads tangled up in it and I doubt if they could have been able to strike. I didn't test that of course. They couldn't get out and I could not have gotten them out either unless one cut them loose. These snakes were not poisonous. If I had your problem I sure would deploy lots of netting.

8. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
  9. TinaK

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    Baymule - those traps looks like a very effective way to get rid of the beasts! I have a heap of yabby traps here... but nothing quite like those minnow/eel traps in the other thread! We have made eels traps in the past (don't have any at the moment)... so maybe I should get 'crafty' and whip up a snake trap!

10. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas

I hope that helps with the snakes. I am not afraid of them, but I sure wouldn't want them in MY yard!! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by