Snake??? Spider???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CCchickens, Feb 7, 2014.

1. CCchickens

CCchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Australia
    Over the past year we've had 3 chickens die.

The first, a light sussex a bit under 30 weeks old, was found near a pile of rocks in the yard dead last summer (December).

9 weeks ago a mixed breed rooster about 12 weeks old was found near the same rock pile, also dead, just 15 minutes after seeing it running around healthy as the rest.

Just today a third died...a pullet about 21 weeks old was found a few metres away from the rock pile...not dead, but lying on the ground panting. She wouldn't move, which was unusual, but we thought at first it might have been heat exhaustion (it was just under 40*C here today). We tried to make it drink and put it inside to cool it down, but an hour or so later, after a few convulsions she died too.

All 3 had a purple face and comb when they died. We wondered if this could be the result of a snake. We live close to the bush, and see Brown Snakes every summer (we've seen three this summer, one of which is now dead). But the rock pile happens to be the home of a couple of Blue-tongue lizards, which we've heard don't mix with snakes. The differences between the time of the deaths also has got us wondering...15 mins to 1 hour plus...can snake bites take that long to kill???

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm not sure how long a snake bite takes to kill but I would look into that rock pile! Something that's obviously deadly is living in there! Use extreme caution when you investigate ! If its Killing your chickens it's likely able to seriously hurt or even be deadly to humans as well! I would try and get rid of the rock pile before it happens again. I wish you the best!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Poisonous snakes don't always inject the same amount of venom, thus the different times of death. You definitely need to (very carefully) get rid of the rock pile. If there are poisonous snakes there, they could eventually bite you, your pets, your children, neighbors' children, etc.

How big is the rock pile? Can you build a nice-sized bonfire over it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by