Snake theory

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by UNCLEG, Jun 25, 2008.

1. UNCLEG

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    OK after dispatching my secound chicken snake this week I have theory. Snakes can smell eggs with chicks in them. Everytime I have hen on eggs I find a snake, no hens on eggs no snakes. Could be just happening by chance but I wonder if any of you have noticed a patten.

Thanx,

G

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Considering how many people here have had snakes eat their golf balls or ceramic eggs, I think it has just been coincidence.

3. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    I wouldnt know I just hate snakes

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They are attracted and can sense the warmth of the eggs.

No hen on eggs = cold eggs = little appeal for snakes.

I don't think they care or can tell if there is a baby chick in the eggs, I think they are just going for the warm ones. That explains why they will sometimes eat a golf ball or fake egg - if it's warm they just figure it's a good one.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  5. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Snakes have a keen scence of smell so they must smell the hens and just know that their will be eggs to boot.

6. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    Maybe the snakes are drawn to the body heat of a broody hen/ I know that several kinds of snakes have sensory organs that let them "see" body heat. Anyone else have any theories?

7. UNCLEG

UNCLEG Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Good input, Had not thought about the heat, and I know the one I killed yesterday had to have been under the hen which had just got up off nest to eat.

Thanx,

G

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    When I see a snake, I tell DH it's time to mow. My Uncle Harold (God rest his soul) used to have a story about finding a snake. It had just eaten a mouse. He was just a little boy at the time. He was so upset he killed the snake and cut it open. The mouse was still alive and well. Yeah, yeah, I know. Mice are bad too, but it was 60 years ago he was just a little kid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by