Snake?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickenAndMore, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Yesterday I had a nest full of eggs and today they were all gone. There was no yolk or eggshell in the nest. Does this sound like a snake is eating them. If so what can I do? And will he come back, if so about what time of day do snakes move/hunt?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. Also sounds like a 2 legged predator. How many eggs were in the nest? But maybe a snake as well. How protected are the nests?

3. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Cant imagine a snake eating all the eggs??
    What about your girls? Mine will eat their eggs if I let them.
    Could also be a raccoon or possom.

4. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    There were about 8 eggs in the nest. Anything can get in the nest in the day, but I lock them up at night (I am at home all day).

5. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I have had a snake eat 8 eggs before. They were due to hatch in a few days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    None of my hens eat there eggs. Plus there was not a mess (yolk/shell) in the nest.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Sorry, only suggested it because I have had a egg stealer/eater in the past that went by the name of Emma the Hen. She left nothing, ate the shell, yolk and all. If you were lucky you would see the wet spot where she had broke the egg, if it wasnt dried up yet. Since you have had a snake eat eggs in the past, it would make sense that it is still a snake eating your eggs.

7. ChickenAndMore

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I did have a egg eater in the past.She would wait for a hen to lay and then would rush in to eat it. I put out some white golf balls and that was the end of it.

8. venery

venery New Egg

Aug 21, 2013
    I had a snake too once. I saw the tale hanging out from under nesting boxes. I yanked out a 5 foot Black Snake with 4 large bulges. If its a snake it shouldn't be far away. They don't move so well with full bellys

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by