1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snakes Chickens and 2 year olds

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by huntinwidow, Apr 18, 2009.

1. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    I just got my first 2 Ameraucana chicks today. I am so excited. I had my 2 boys (1 and 2) with me as I was getting them settled in.
    I looked up and my 2 year old was holding what looked like a black piece of wire. It looked like it was bent and he was trying to straighten it. I took a second look and thought "that kinda looks like a snake". I asked him what he had. He took a good look at it gave a shiver and threw it down and screamed SNAKE. [​IMG]

It was just a little ring snake. One of the good guys, but it frightens me that he would pick it up and not even know that it was a snake.

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Brave little soul, your going to have to watch that one. Mine brought me a live gopher one time I'll never know how he caught it or kept it from biting him. [​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ahhhh!! Congrats on the new chicks. When we lived in town we only had garter snakes so my boys would pick them up and bring them to show me. When we moved to the country there was the possibility of 'dangerous' snakes so we had to retrain our little boys not to ever pick up a snake... just in case. Glad it was a harmless snake.

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Well that's great that he was brave enough to pick it up, but bad that he did! Very lucky it wasnt a venomous one. Im glad he has an interest in reptiles though, that's a good thing to have!

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    welcome to the wondeful world of little boys! mine are 4 and 5, and i tell you they will pick up and play with anything! i even find dead bugs in jeans pockets before they go into the wash,which is icky lol.

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    We had a milk snake in the yard last spring when my sun was 18 months old, he thought it was sooo cool, and kept laughing at him trying to bite him. I didnt know what he was laughing about until I got over there. I was so upset with him, like theres not enough to worry over!

Another time i kept smelling something dead, and I couldnt find it. I'd be watching tv, cleaning, cooking, COULDNT find what smelled so dead...

I checked him finally and found that his hands smelled like death... I couldnt figure it out.

Later in the yard I found a dead mouse (present from the cats). He had been playing with it when I wasnt looking!

UUUGGGGHHH!!!

7. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    My sister Mandy used to line up all the cat kills in the yard when she was a toddler.

8. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    preppy*hippie*chick :

My sister Mandy used to line up all the cat kills in the yard when she was a toddler.

*gag*​

9. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Yep. My mom would FREAK!!!

10. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    preppy*hippie*chick :

It may be a name thing...I am a Mandy too and I used to collect the cat's presents of dead mice and put them into bags and hide them under the porch. I do not recall why I did it...but I did lol.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by