1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snakes eating my eggs :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Cordelia9, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Cordelia9

Cordelia9 New Egg

Jun 18, 2013
    In the last month I've removed two large eastern ratsnakes (Yeah, I looked them up to make sure they're not poisonous) from the nest boxes in my coop: both of them found after several days of very low egg counts. Caught the second one with an egg halfway into its mouth. Grr. I don't have anything against the snakes-- they keep the local rodent population down-- but I don't like competing with them for eggs. I took each of them for a long car ride, and I know they were not the same snake, as one was significantly larger. Spotted a decent-sized eastern gartersnake near (but not in) the coop more recently. Never had this problem last year, when the coop was out in the middle of the yard. But I moved it to the edge of the woods this year for the shade... and now I have snakes.

Is there any way to deter them? Is it the location? (I'd love to move them back out in the yard, but it was just too hot in the summer!) My birds are free-ranging, so hardware cloth isn't a viable solution. If you had a snake problem, how did you/didn't you solve it?

2. dsbailey70

dsbailey70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    Nederland, Texas
    Go to your feed store, or look online, for ceramic eggs. You can probably even get them in breed-correct colors. Some people also use wooden or plastic Easter eggs. Put a few of them in the problem areas. That will either deter the culprits, or kill them if they swallow one. I also kill any snake I find, with the exception of kingsnakes. There are plenty of predators (hawks, owls, foxes, etc) around to handle any rodents.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by