snakes in basement>??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CammieSilkie, Aug 2, 2010.

1. CammieSilkie

CammieSilkie In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I am keeping my day old silkies in the basement of my home, but i think there might be snakes down there O.O (just possibly). Garter snakes. Would they eat or do any harm to my chicks? the chicks are in a small cage as a brooder, and the spacing of the bars are like.. 1 1/2 inch by a half an inch. And there is a guard at the bottom of the bars so the chicks cant squeeze out.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress 9 Years

Bump this, to see if someone has some answers for you.

3. mlove

mlove Songster

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Garter snakes do not eat chicks but many other types of snakes do. Snakes are also extremely good at squeezing into tiny spaces. Why do you think you have snakes in your basements? Have you seen any snake sheds or other evidence?

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Songster

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My chickens came across a 3' Ribbon Garter snake that was the thickest I've ever seen, round as a silver dollar. This one I know would have taken a chick, they do eat baby birds. As it turned out the chickens gave it a few well directed pecks and sent it packing.

5. BackyardAR

BackyardAR In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Malvern
    I was standing in my Dad's basement about two months ago and started hearing a strange rasping sound. I looked up into the rafters to see a 5 foot+ Black Snake sliding down inside the cinderblock wall.

Yes, there *can* be snakes in your basement. They're in there looking for mice typically. So keep your chicks secure. If you have them in an open topped box kind of brooder, contrive some manner of cover for it that you can weigh down.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Songster

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I would wire some 1/2" hardware cloth over the cage sides. So it is covered on all sides by the 1/2" wire. That should keep most anything but bugs out.

I use a big plastic tote for chicks. DH cut the middle of the top out and bolted 1/2" hardware cloth on it for air flow. Top snapes on and walla, instant brooder. I have 2 so that I can rotate them. I use both when we have large hatches.

We use the 1/2" hardware cloth everywhere we have birds, to protect them. Should have invested in the company that makes it. Oh waite, we have. Its everywhere you look in my back yard.

Good luck with your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: