Snakes in MS!!!! Baby Cottonmouths!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TajMaChicken, Apr 23, 2011.

1. TajMaChicken

TajMaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Hernando, MS
    [​IMG] So yesterday get home from work and go to let the girls out. I almost step on a baby cottomouth. Luckily there was a shovel near by. Off with his head!!! I really don't mind most snakes, but the poisonous ones die! Anyway today I was walking around the yard and about two foot away is the twin. [​IMG] I holler for someone to bring me a shovel. Off with it's head!!! That's two babies in two days. We gave already killed two adult Cottonmouths and a very large copperhead and it only April. Anyone else notice a rise in their snake population early this year?

2. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    not here, fortunately but i agree- off with their heads!!! i have a 2 year old running around. she loves to watch the chickens.

3. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I had a cat once that was a snake hunting fiend. She was death to snakes. She got into a nest of baby copper heads once and for weeks we would find the dead baby snakes on the front porch. Maybe you need a cat. [​IMG]

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    Okay, I'm gonna be super-paranoid now! If I do see one it will be a goner, but probably by a shot gun since I would be too sissy to get close enough to kill it with a shovel.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I've had 2 rat snakes already.[​IMG]

6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    We live in Central Florida and for whatever reason the snakes are numerous and all over the place. Most of what we see are not venomous, like black runners, large coach whips and the usual cast of garden snakes. However, we have also seen several rattlers only one of which stayed around long enough to be shot.

7. TajMaChicken

TajMaChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Hernando, MS
    Quote:I have two unfortunately they are worthless...[​IMG] they just sleep and demand food!

I have seen some rat snakes too but I let them be. I have a 4 1/2' one that tries his best to nab my duck eggs but those big eggs just roll in his mouth. [​IMG] It's really quite comical! I have had to pull him out of the duck house a few times, but he keeps the mice at bay so he can stay. The kings are awesome to have around because they will eat the other snakes. I have seen them eat copperheads and chase Cottonmouths. The rat and king snakes always scare me when I walk up on them but Then I realize what they are.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    TajMaChicken...we have 2 cats like yours...must be from the same litter [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by