SNAKES RATTLERS !!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bkymnro, May 26, 2008.

1. bkymnro

bkymnro New Egg

Jan 1, 2008
    Abilene,TX
    Tonight after my family had finished our dinner, we ate a half of a watermelon that I had in the frig. After I'd done the dishes, I took the rind out to throw it over into the chickenpen for the girls to eat tomorrow. It was dark already and when I tossed it over the fence, I heard a disturbed rattler rattling. I didn't have a flashlight with me, so I went into the house and got one and went back to see if he was still there. I didn't find him. I have young grandkids who love to go out there and gather eggs for me and this has upset me so that I do not feel comfortable letting them go out there now. WHAT TO DO???

2. Bluedog420

Bluedog420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Cartersville, Ky
    All you need is a few guinea's and your snake problem will be over. I live in Ky where there are plenty of em here. Guinea's=no snake's [​IMG]

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* WOW!! Guineas will even take on rattlesnakes???? Honest?? What about the big snakes??

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* WOW!! Guineas will even take on rattlesnakes???? Honest?? What about the big snakes?? (DARN IT! Can somebody explain to me how I keep doing this stupid d.p. stuff??)

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  5. Wraith

Wraith Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2008
    Upstate SC
    Shotguns work better than guineas. Kill it.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    We had to dispatch what I thought was a copperhead in my yard on Thursday. The more I have thought about it, I don't think it was a copperhead at all. I have gone to our states snake identification site and now I'm think it was a small (18") timber rattler. [​IMG] My 13 year-old came upon it while mowing grass.

I will be getting some Snake Away to sprinkle around my coop this week. I, like you, am worried about the children. I would recommend that you do the same and like every one else is saying. Get some guineas! Those are next on my list as well. [​IMG] Meanwhile, do a thorough check around your coop and run. You don't want your chickens run across something like that either. Be careful and good luck! [​IMG]

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Guess I'm gonna NEED a shotgun, too, if all they've had to say about the pythons and anacondas is true. There's big snakes and then there's BIG snakes!!! :[

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by