Snakes with an S Graphic

7L Farm

Songster
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Anderson, Texas
Went to lock up the coop yesterday evening & was literally attacked by a copperhead. I grabbed a brick that is used to hold the door open & bingo I got him. Copperheads are very aggressive snakes & very poisonous. You folks that relocate snakes are taking a big chance when their poisonous. Then first thing this morning I open the coop up & find this hanging there dead with a fake egg in his stomach. Not sure if the fake egg killed it or the hot wire that's right there at that window killed him. I do know that I'll get my fake egg back.LOL!! So lady's & gentleman it's that time of year again . Its been a long cold winter & snakes are very hungry right now. They can & will eat a bunch of your eggs per visit.
63768_snake_in_coop_004.jpg

Quote:
I agree that it is not wise to relocate a poisonous snake. Like any other creature it will have to plot out a new area to live in, and will most likely have to kill or be killed by other snakes to get it. Not to mention that fact you could be simply dropping it on someone else’s doorstep, one which could belong to elderly people or young children thereby risking their lives. I know people say that copperheads aren't a big threat, something to do with the size of their fangs and not being able to get enough venom in you kill, but I have actually been chased down by two copperheads AND it was after dark! Kill me or not I am not about to take this risk. If I see them, I kill them.

ETA: btw that one that got stuck, it's HUGE I was always told that copperheads don't get longer then 2-3 feet. Of course I know thats not exactly true as the two that chased me were 3.5 and atleast 4 ft respectively. Is it longer just because of the way it died or was it really that long?

Last edited:
Copperheads are typically NOT aggressive (in fact one of the least aggresive vipers) .. spring months they are more aggresive than at any other time of the year .. but typically they are relatively lazy and avoid confrontation. People usually get bit by stepping on them, or messing with them. They are assumed aggressive, because they are a viper.

Also, as vipers in the US go, they have one of the mildest venoms. I know several people that have been bit this year. I always like to say "They won't kill ya, but they'll sure ruin your day (or week)".

Their reputation FAR exceeds their disposition.

I think they are also one of the most beautiful snakes on the planet..
love.gif

I'm sorry he startled you ...

Last edited:
I had been noticing, in my shed, which has a single nest, when I would go to gather eggs, there might be two eggs, but everything was wet, as if one of the hens had eaten an egg...Well, yesterday, I was working at home, doing some metal work. I decided to check that nest, and I find a 5' ratsnake enjoying itself.

I grabbed my welding gloves, grabbed the snake and dispatched it, with a shovel.

The only snake relocation that is allowed on our place are the Spotted Kings. Great to have around as long as they're not in the coop-if they're in the coop, we will relocate those.
smile.png

Garter and grass snakes would be allowed by us, but the chickens like them for snacks.
Anything else...not so much.
Glad you got the Copperhead before it got you and nice get by your ceramic egg!

Gotta love those 5' rat snakes! Last one I saw was at a friends house last year .. in her chicken barn. I grabbed him and drug him outside so her husband could kill him with and axe .. He went to screaming like a girl when he saw I had the snake by the tail .. Bwa ha ha ha

Quote:
We let a hognose go a couple weeks ago .. he was cute.

We've killed and skinned a snake this year .. and the next copperhead we find, I want to take to the taxidermist .. or, if it's big enough, have a hatband made...
woot.gif

My coop is snake proof (unless they are really really really tiny ... so I haven't even killed smaller rat snakes.. I DO know we have a monster living out back, but have only found skins .. and lost a couple of ducks to him.

I'm more worried about coons..

Last edited:
Quote:
We let a hognose go a couple weeks ago .. he was cute.

We've killed and skinned a coral snake this year .. and the next copperhead we find, I want to take to the taxidermist .. or, if it's big enough, have a hatband made...
woot.gif

My coop is snake proof (unless they are really really really tiny ... so I haven't even killed smaller rat snakes.. I DO know we have a monster living out back, but have only found skins .. and lost a couple of ducks to him.

I'm more worried about coons..

Shhhhhhhh-might want to edit that out of your post...don't let P&W get wind of that.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom