Snakes! Yikes! but they are copperheads, what??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WKYChick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    We have been so busy building our coop that our scrap wood and metal lay in a pile at the back corner of the yard, near the hen house and run, I decided that is was time to clean up the metal and wood we wont use and be gone with it.

I am talking away with my DH when a baby copperhead darts between my legs, yikes! I did kill it, I don't like killing snakes but this is a venomous snake and it was little, we fear there is a nest near by [​IMG] if it was any other snake I would have left it alone. I want to feed my guinea chicks miracle grow so they can grow up fast!

I have read and seen all kinds of snakes eat eggs but that is one thing I have never thought about is copperheads! I have been securing everything from flying predators to walking predators and now I need to rethink my slithering problem [​IMG]

Just looking for opinions, what do you do about these slithering creatures that love to startle the bee-geebees out of you!

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Turn the chickens loose on them! They love baby snakes!

A little copperhead came slithering out of a bale of hay I was carrying in the chicken pen - the hens made short work of him [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    ewwwwww [​IMG]

4. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    [​IMG] I kept thinking my poor girls, their venomous snakes! I could pull all the rubble out of the way and herd the chickens to the spot [​IMG]

knowing my girls they would totally freak out and fly/waddle as fast as they can to the other side of the yard, they freak out when I toss them a worm [​IMG]

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

My hens slurped two baby snakes (one poisonous) down like giant noodles last year when I was moving "junk" around in the yard and found them under something! If I didn't love my chickens before that, I really did that moment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by