snakes!

two j farm

Crowing
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
Well tonight I went out side to check on my chicks and found a snake at my door steps the snake took off to the chicken pen I had to go after it because of the chicks, I'm scared to death of snakes but had to get him myself with just a hoe and a flash light my husband is at work. What can I do to keep them away? I looked it up on line and found out it was a yellow belly water snake we live next to a lake and this is not the first one we have killed. Any help would be great.

If it's a small snake the chickens will kill it. We get garter, bull and rat snakes in the spring and summer they are all over. Chickens grab them by the head and one shake and there dead. Bigger snake the chickens won't bother. I'm not scared of snakes so I catch and release them unless there super aggressive then I let the chickens do there business. If there's snakes around that means there is a food source. Get rid of there food source and u will get rid of the snakes.

Thanks. They aren't small any snake is to big for me but it was about 4 foot long gray with a yellow belly. I'm not worried about the bigger chickens because they are on the roost just the chicks they are about 4 week's old and small enough for a snake to eat.

Back
Top Bottom