Snakes...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ColtHandorf, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    I know this is a pointless endeavor, but is there anyway I can encourage snakes to look for food somewhere other than my nest boxes? I have had six rat snakes in the last two month and three of them in the last three days. The grass has gotten tall around the pen but it's been too wet to mow for quite some time. Thankfully it's dried out enough and I have an appointment to get it done Wednesday. I seriously can't wait.

But is there anything else I can do to dissuade them from returning to the coop? The first three I released miles down the road. The fourth one I killed to get the ceramic eggs back it had eaten. The fifth I killed because frankly I was annoyed and upset that three days in a row I haven't gotten any eggs to put in the incubator. And I would have killed the one last night but it's a bit difficult to hold a light and kill something eight feet long in a house filled with chickens without causing mass chaos so it ended up escaping.

I've removed the nest boxes from the house until the grass is cut down on Wednesday. Also do they remember food sources and come back for repeat visits or is there just an army of snakes preying on the unborn children of my lovely ladies?

2. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    Oh my goodness, that's a lot of snakes! I dont have advice, but I sure hope you find a solution. Are they going in the pop door? I wonder if a fake owl would help.

3. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    Yes, they are going through the door. The one last night was on a beam alongside the roost pole so it like six inches away from the birds (behind them of course on the back wall) and like four feet away from my face.

4. mixedUPturk

mixedUPturk Loves Hatching

May 28, 2015
    Zachary, LA
    They have snake away products i havent ever used them but a friend w Orkin says they work

5. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    Way too close for comfort. I would have been in freakout mode.

ColtHandorf likes this.
  6. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    I'm not really scared of them, but snakes in the dark are a bit more worrisome. I know we live in the prime area for Cottonmouths and Copperheads as well. And though I haven't seen any, there are several species of rattlesnake native to the area as well. Control burning the whole property sounds more and more appealing the more I think about it...lol I was researching snakes and how to get rid of them earlier and got so creeped out I had to put my feet up in my office chair at work... :lau

7. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Yeah that's a lot of snakes! I was enraged the other day to find a four-foot black snake snuggled around a clutch of my eggs in the middle of the day. He won't bother my eggs again, wah-hah. :highfive:

8. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    So in the first ten minutes the mowing service was out at the house the killed a copperhead right next to the house with the weed eater. :eek: And while I was practically humming with adrenaline and trying to levitate two feet above the grass as I watched the dogs go to the bathroom I watched another 4-4.5 ft Texas Rat climbing up onto the windowsill of one of the bedrooms. *full body shudder*

Those were the only snakes any of us saw, but I'm happy to report that the weeds in the chicken pen were knocked down with a weed eater and nearly the entire 1.5-2 acres of the four acres have been mowed. It's AMAZING! I let the girls have their nest boxes back so hopefully they'll start laying again and their eggs won't be eaten.

poisondartfrog and mixedUPturk like this.
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I keep the area mowed around my coops and pens and I also use roundup around the perimeter of the coops and pens under the electric wire to keep the grass and weeds off of it. I have only once had a rat snake wrapped around a milk crate that I was using as a nest box in a coop. I did get it out and it slithered off. I had a couple of coach-whips get electrocuted by the electric wire around my coops and pens. I suspect they were on a mission and got on the electric wire and because of their size compared to like a coyote they were electrocuted. When I have accidentally touched the wire, it has made my heart skip a few beats. Hopefully I don't get another snake in my coops.

ColtHandorf likes this.
  10. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    Five! :barnieFive snakes over the last part of the week and the weekend. Two in one night! It rained all day yesterday and was cool. Do you think that stopped me from finding one in between the door and the side of the chicken house? No, no it did not. The whole yard and four acre pasture is mowed. I'm seriously thinking about control burning it when it's a little drier to see if that helps.

Punkybrewster and mixedUPturk like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: